TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29885
Property Name : Kickapoo Lake
Reservation Date : 09/26/2021 PM - 09/26/2021 PM
Total Fish/Sizes : 30 up to 19"
Lures Used : Swimbait, spinnerbait, crankbait, senko

My last time to fish Kickapoo was the same month of September in 2020. The water level was full but the grass seemed a bit more matted this year. The water clarity was about 1’- 1.5’. I fished out of the property’s jon boat and it was newer and did not leak (yay!). The transom has a wood backing which was great to install the trolling motor. Launched the boat around 330 pm. I think the temperature started around 91 and came down in the 80’s later in the evening. I started out throwing a white spinnerbait and caught a fish on my first cast. The bass was 13” and healthy. I thought I would have good luck with the spinnerbait but the bites were far and few. I switched to a shallow running crankbait but did not have much luck. I later switched to a small plastic white swimbait but they didn’t like the color. Switched to a chartreuse color and they smashed it. I don’t think fish has been culled because a lot of the fish caught were under 14”. When I fished the pond last year, I didn’t catch a lot of small fish. Most were 2# – 3.5#. Anyways, I ended up catching most of the fish with a watermelon color senko rigged wacky style with a swivel for weight about a foot below the lure. They could not resist this bait. I think most of the fish caught were in 5-7’ of water along the grassline all around the pond and dam. A few were caught in 2-3’ of water but the bigger ones were deeper. Ended the day with 30 and culled 18. I ended giving a few fish to a friend that night. Thank you again PWF and pond owners!

Sep 27 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Curious about the setup – so like a wacky drop shot?  

Sep 27 2021

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Curious about the setup – so like a wacky drop shot?  

Hey Joshua, that was pretty much it. I actually rigged the swivel about 18 in above the hook or lure. And instead of using a spinning rod and reel, I used a baitcasting rod and reel with 15 lb test. I don't like using a light action set up around grass. Hookups were great and I didn't get stuck in grass all that much.

Sep 27 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

Hey Joshua, that was pretty much it. I actually rigged the swivel about 18 in above the hook or lure. And instead of using a spinning rod and reel, I used a baitcasting rod and reel with 15 lb test. I don't like using a light action set up around grass. Hookups were great and I didn't get stuck in grass all that much.

so the swivel helps with keeping the fish hooked and adds a tad bit of weight it would seem – cool – always looking for new rigs!

Sep 27 2021

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

so the swivel helps with keeping the fish hooked and adds a tad bit of weight it would seem – cool – always looking for new rigs!

Yeah I used the swivel for weight because I wanted the slow fall versus using actual weights. I think the 18-in between the swivel and lure helped with them hanging on longer for better hookups. I also used fluorocarbon line for better hookups as well.