Fun afternoon at Waterboo

Oct 21 2021

Pete Lane

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hit Waterboo yesterday afternoon from 1pm to 6:30. Have lots of memories on this lake (going back to when was called Valley Tank); also was the last place I fished with my Dad (he passed away in 2003 – took me fishing every weekend when I was a kid in England). Beautiful afternoon, temp in the low 80’s, water at 71 degf. Water is crystal clear – like fishing in an aquarium, lake about 2’ low – but very fishable. Caught fish steadily, lost count at 40. Culled 5 (should have culled more, but tricky in a kayak…). Hottest areas were the deep channel (go to the far side from the launch, to where the fence sticks into the water, and head right, keeping about 10’ from the bank – you’ll be in 12’ of water until you see the weeds start sticking out) and then all along the inside of the ridge where the weeds bust the surface at the top end. Most things worked but small swim bait, free-lined senko, TX-rig craw in the channel and gold lipless crank bait scored the best. Around 3 pm caught a 6.6 lb-er in the channel on the lipless crank. In over 20 years of on and off fishing this place, have never seen a fish that big…. Also caught about 5 around 2lb. Really restful, fun afternoon to be outside. And all the gates inside the ranch were open… my lucky day

Oct 21 2021

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

That’s an awesome afternoon Pete, thanks for sharing the report and why the place is special to you!  6.6lb is a very nice fish, the harvest efforts there are really paying off.