Outstanding day (double "WTF was that" moment) and a look into the mind of an exceptionally average fisherman.

Nov 29 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30522
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 11/28/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 87 up to 4.6lbs
Lures Used : Spook/Sqbill/Jerkbait/Spoon/NedRig

Went on a father/daughter overnight trip to Post Oak Sunday – stayed at the beautiful cabin and fished Sunday.  This trip included a double yell of ‘WTF was that’ at the same time on two different occasions along with a bevy of fish between us. I’m going to give a breakdown of how we attacked this lake and the adjustments we made from during the week through Sunday.  A look into my mind as we did it for better or worse.

1. We had to switch lakes midweek due to some hunters at another lake, so on Wednesday I started preparing for Post Oak.
  2. The first thing I do is go to Google Earth to look for older satellite shots – you’d be surprised what you find. I found a shot from 2011 where the lake was drawn way down.  I superimposed that shot onto the current shot. (see in pictures).
  3. What I’m looking for: Fall is all about transition from summer depths to shallows then back out to the depths.
  4. If you think about the total population of fish as a percentage, you know that in late summer, 33% are shallow, 33% are deep, and 33% are suspending somewhere. In fall that changes, and some additional percentage will move shallow, and then move back out – primarily because the bait fish will make these movements. 
  5. We are in late(ish) fall as best I can guess.  I know from the prior reports that the small fish are still shallow, and my guess (which was right) is that the better fish will be in the transition zone from shallow to deep – probably around the 6 foot mark, which means I need to find 6+ feet of water to find the highest percentage of better fish.
  6. On the map, I know that the transition zone is in that triangle.  But if I had no map, then I need to use my depth finder to look for that 6+ foot water, ideally where it is adjacent to both deep and shallow water.
  7. I then look at topography maps so I look at where water might enter the lake.  I see that the prime drainage areas are on the west side of the lake.  Rainwater entering the lake feeds baitfish with nutrients and bugs, etc, bass follow baitfish.
  8. Check weather and moon.  Full moon means they ate at night.  Early morning bite is good then dies quicker, starts back around 1pm.  No full moon though – waxing/waning crescent whatever.  They will eat longer morning and might not break during the day.
  9. Ok, now we are on the way to the lake and it is raining.  Not a warm rain, but that is ok in the fall (spring, not so much).  So I know the west side will be a major player. 
  10. But the wind is from the North so it might push nutrients/plankton into the opposing side and the baitfish (especially if the lake has shad) will follow (but I didn’t see any shad).
  11. Arrive at lake – I see an otter 30 yards off the bank.  Now I know where fish might be. Hope he left us some of decent size (otters can eat the big fish out of a lake out quicker than jack rabbit on a date).
  12. Now we are on the water.  Depth finder in and I see the water is 55+ which is ideal for a fall bite.  It is cloudy and the water is clear. 
  13. Mentally, the map with the colors is how I’m setting up the day. I know it will be bright later, so those colors are a sliding scale – closer to the bank early, then when the sun pops those fish are going to back off to deeper water.
  14. I’m thinking yellows and vibration (sqbill/spook for me and chatter bait for the daughter).  Ned rig if the fish are hesitant and the wind drops, and the jerk bait and spoon are on standby for when that sun pops.
  15. Those conditions plus the rain the previous night and the pressure still not high means today will be decent to good – so there is where I set my expectations – we can find and catch 50+ fish.  If it was 10 degrees colder, I’m hoping for 20 between us.  I’m competing against that mentally + the added pressure of making sure my daughter catches, which can be really tough mentally sometimes.
  16. Set up my rods for the day, tackle is organized on how I’m going to rotate through the day.  I want to make a lot of casts and cover water early – I’m slinging a sqbill and handing the daughter a chatter bait.  Skirt on so the fish can see it and with the clouds, but I have a skirt less ready just in case.
  17. Move down the west bank and towards the bridge. Covering water but holding the trolling motor against the wind so we can make casts in 10 foot increments. Clear water means the fish can see it from 10+ feet away, then the question is how much will they actually chase.  If they won’t then I need to cover small gaps – 3-5 feet. If they will then I can gap 10 feet in lines.  If the wind picks up crazy, well hey, just do the best you can, but know the wind is your friend (until it isn’t).
  18. Creeping along and we start catching immediately. I’m absorbing the info now.  How far off the bank, did I catch grass, what depth, did they hit hard or just mouth or slap?  What is the size of fish – are the big ones up feeding or is it just little ones chasing whatever they can find? What is the why – that is what I’m after.
  19. Catching snotgrass. Adjust knot – tie an overhand knot on top of Palomar Knot so tag end faces other way. Not as much snot grass now. I hate snot grass but this grass is very green so I will take it.
  20. Ok daughter is catching them – I’m good, she won’t hate the trip – catch more than her now – make her competitive.
  21. We are at the bridge – neat little area – do I go in? could be a massive waste of time...water in the middle of this little area is 7 foot – can hold fish – working that spook in these little pockets and on each of these banks and roll points.  Better fish on the spook. She wants to use one now – try a PopR (no go), try a plopper (also no go).  They really really like this walking action.  Ok, let’s teach her how. 
  22. She starts using it and catching them on it.  Now I can’t take her spook fish, I go nedrig – let her work these areas where it is calm so she can learn.  (damn, we are at nearly 20 fish already, might be a really good day).
  23. After the cove, let’s go see if the wind is pushing the bait into the east bank.  It is really shallow here for long stretches.  Good for spring, not good for now.  We are at a lull – fish here and there.  There is more snot grass here and I don’t like this area.  Can’t get back to this little cove on the east bank – hit timber, daughter almost falls.  There is not grass on this timber and I can’t fish it clean. Did I say I really don’t like this area? 
  24. Hit the motor and we are moving past this east bank up to the feeder.  See some topwater fish and the fish finder is showing fish at 3 feet in deeper water.  I’ll sling a trap for now but that sun is about to pop and those fish are gonna go deeper here.  Work these feeders and no more lull period.  Still not catching great fish – just a handful over 1.5lbs.  Fish are really skinny – not enough bait, too many bass.
  25. Sun is almost out and we are hungry.  Bass’s eyes need to adjust.  Park and eat our lunches we brought in the car.  Need time to recharge. Use this time.
  26. Sun is out – I’m not working any water less than 6 feet now.  I am going to use a jerkbait and give the kiddo a nedrig. Switch my yellow stuff out to flashy.
  27. Fish are suspended – they aren’t feeding now.  This is my time to shine.  Back out to that 6-11feet water transition zone and start working that triangle. 
  28. I am absolutely crushing them. Multiple triples, back to back to back to backs.  Every cast sometimes.
  29. ‘GREAT ODIN’S RAVEN WHAT WAS THAT!!!’  We saw fins and a fish head out of the water moving a mile a minute in the middle of the lake for 20 seconds and then disappear.  Saw fins and half a fish body swimming like a dolphin. We have no idea what is. We saw fins and the back of a head.
  30. Daughter is not catching them.. She can eat dirt – this is my time to shine.  She’s caught plenty.
  31. Ok I am not a bad father.  Try her a jerkbait (doesn’t work for her). Teaching moment.  Where are the fish, why are they here.  Explain shallow to deep transition zone.  What are we doing here.
  32. If you can’t work a jerkbait, what can you do.  Use a trap and yoyo it through the suspended fish.  We are good now – daughter is catching fish again. I switch to a 4 inch spoon so I don’t run over her in boating fish.. Love a spoon, never get to use it. We are getting some good fish. Big double – 4.6 and a decent 2lber for her.
  33. Back to jerkbait and crushing it again.  (we are getting close to 50 fish in the well).  Alternate Megabass 110 and +1 depending on depth.  
  34.  Ok, it is 4pm.  I am tired. I have caught many fish and some decent ones. I am good – no more fishing for me.
  35. She wants to use a spook.  Go to bank areas, work towards bridge.  No spook bite.  Make her use ned rig and teach her how to really use it. Show her where to cast and why.
  36. “What do you mean you don’t do anything with it?” Called a do nothing rig, so do nothing with it.  Hop it a little, but more twitch than hop.
  37. Work bridge, back into cove.  She is catching more now, but it is getting dark. It is time to leave.
  38. Running to ramp – “GREAT ODIN’S RAVEN AGAIN” – we ran right by it – we scared it and it scared us.  Kk that was definitely a bass – easily 10+lbs, likely 12, that is a very large body and mouth and I have never seen a bass swim like a dolphin.
  39. Daughter wants to know how bass got so big with no bait.  Dad explains for that big bass, all those bass we have caught and put in the well are its baitfish. 
  40. Sometimes I catch no fish, sometimes I catch a whole lot.  The better plan A, B and C I put together, the better I fish (“everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth”).  Whether I am at Lake Fork, my club lake, or a PWF lake – I make a plan for the most part and do research. 
  41. If all else fails – I throw a nedrig.  

Nov 29 2021

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

What an amazing breakdown!  I am in awe of how you think your way through a lake and go beyond just picking which lures/techniques you think might work for the day.  Thank you as always for sharing your details and insights.

Nov 29 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By David Felton

What an amazing breakdown!  I am in awe of how you think your way through a lake and go beyond just picking which lures/techniques you think might work for the day.  Thank you as always for sharing your details and insights.

Thank you David. I had someone reach out asking for help on finding the fish and fish behavior – so I wanted to give a glimpse into what that means for me and how I think through that. Hope it helps. 

Nov 30 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Sounds like a name is in order for the post oak monster, maybe Oakey?  

Nov 30 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Charles McCallum

Sounds like a name is in order for the post oak monster, maybe Oakey?  

Naming rights go to the one who catches it. Gotta be close to 8-10 years, so time is running out!  I suppose it could have been something else but we got a pretty good look the second time and it really seemed like a bass.  Suprised the resident otter hasn’t gotten to it.  

Nov 30 2021

Craig Awtrey

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Additional resource for recon:

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer 

Old aerial views, also has topos for reference.

Nov 30 2021

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Naming rights go to the one who catches it. Gotta be close to 8-10 years, so time is running out!  I suppose it could have been something else but we got a pretty good look the second time and it really seemed like a bass.  Suprised the resident otter hasn’t gotten to it.  

I have seen that surface roll from whatever type of big fish it is, at a distance,  the last two time I have fished PO and it looked similar to some of the big carp that occasionally breach the surface up at Lake Travis.
I assumed it was a carp but maybe it is a bass. It reminded me of a big redfish cruising the surface during a falling tide in coastal Louisiana.

Bob

Nov 30 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Craig Awtrey

Additional resource for recon:

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer 

Old aerial views, also has topos for reference.

Thank you for sharing Craig!

Nov 30 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Bob Scheidemann

I have seen that surface roll from whatever type of big fish it is, at a distance,  the last two time I have fished PO and it looked similar to some of the big carp that occasionally breach the surface up at Lake Travis.
I assumed it was a carp but maybe it is a bass. It reminded me of a big redfish cruising the surface during a falling tide in coastal Louisiana.

Bob

My first guess was a carp from a distance.  When we accidentally creeped up on it going to the ramp, we were about 10 feet away and the mouth looked like a bass – my daughter got a better look and swears it was a bass.  We won’t know till it gets caught! 

Dec 02 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Awesome thought process. You are doing so much like my younger brother in studying the lakes he fishes and does pay off. I guess I need to step up my game. 

Dec 02 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Stagg

Awesome thought process. You are doing so much like my younger brother in studying the lakes he fishes and does pay off. I guess I need to step up my game. 

Thanks Dale!  I tend to prep more when my daughter is with me – I am not sure why, I just feel this massive amount of pressure to make sure she can catch fish.  She doesn’t care too much about the size of the fish (which makes a lake like Post Oak perfect).  I do love a new lake though and breaking it down.  One of the reasons I joined PWF!