David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30556
Property Name : Pecan Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 12/04/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 19 LMB up to 4.25lb, 1 catfish 5-6lb
Lures Used : Flatside Squarebill, Spinnerbait, Ned Rig, Drop Shot

Arrived just before sunrise to low 60’s temps and mostly cloudy skies with light breeze from the South.  Eventually got up to mid-70’s wtih winds up and down from calm to 10 mph through the day.  Fished till just after 5pm.  Water conditions were stained green tint with visibility to 3 feet and 57 degrees.  There were isolated surface blow-ups for the first couple of hours, but did not get any topwater bites on plopper style baits.  Started out catching small fish along the dam area on the shad pattern squarebill.  Worked down the east side of the lake and had luck with a ½ oz chartreuse and white spinnerbait.  These 2 baits accounted for most of the 20 fish.  Largest bass (4.25 lb) was caught on the Ned Rig in deep water about 20 yards out from the middle of the dam.  Largest fish of the day (the catfish) was caught out from the dock on a lipless crankbait.  No bass caught along the west side of the lake. Fifteen of the 20 were dinks and would have been culled if we were harvesting.  The 4 larger bass were all chunky and fought hard for their size.  More than once I saw schools of fish on my electronics suspended at 8-10 feet of water in the deep 20’ part of the lake.  I tried everything I could think of, but couldn’t figure out what they wanted.

Lures that didn’t work today: chatterbait (bluegill pattern and white), lipless (except the catfish), jerkbait, Tx Rig worm, swimbait on a flashy swimmer, shad colored swim jig.

Dec 05 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Solid day – nice work Dave!