Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30780
Property Name : Frannies Lake
Reservation Date : 12/30/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 14
Lures Used : Spinner, spoon, crank baits, square bill, TRIG

Wrapped up a solid 2021 by fishing Frannies with fellow club member Charles McCallum.  The property held up to all the hype and really like the feeling of remoteness and the variety of wildlife. Even before I arrived at the launch I saw a couple wild hogs and 8 deer just hanging out. My only complaint is I need 3 days to fish the entire lake. Just joking, it's not really a complaint but I fish slow and it's a big body of water with a variety weedline, timber (standing and submerged), shallow flats and deep holes with humps. 

Started out Thursday with air temp of 48 degrees, water at 65 degrees, no cloud cover and slight wind. It got warm pretty quick and shed the layers by 10 a.m.  For most of the day we were over on the dam side fishing the timber, deeper holes and near the bank. Water visibility was maybe 15” and ended up with 14 bass for the day and 14 large crappie.   We weren't targeting crappie, but they were sitting pretty thick in deep water next to submerged structure.  The size of the bass ranged from 14” to a beauty 5.5 pounder caught by Charles in deep water. 7 of the bass were caught closer to shore on TRIG or square bill, and the other 7 which were larger, were caught in deep water by the dam on a spoon jig.  Most of the crappie were caught in deep water on the spoon but they were pretty aggressive and also caught a couple on crank bait, spinner and jerk bait. 

I met David (property owner) towards the end of the day and expressed my gratitude for opening up the property and allowing access to PWF members. He seemed excited that it's getting this much action. He also mentioned he wants us to cull 100% of the crappie. Currently the property description states “we may keep the crappie...” and he will be reaching out to the club to discuss a cull policy. 

All-in-all another great day and a great outdoor experience on the water.   Happy New Year to everyone and cheers to a healthy and safe 2022!!

Jan 03 2022

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the great report, glad you enjoyed your day out there…and hopefully you will get back soon to slowly fish some more of it!  I have updated the property description to note that all crappie MUST be removed along with all bass under 14” and catfish.  They are in our program specifically to get our help with harvesting fish.

Jan 03 2022

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Quigley

Thanks for the great report, glad you enjoyed your day out there…and hopefully you will get back soon to slowly fish some more of it!  I have updated the property description to note that all crappie MUST be removed along with all bass under 14” and catfish.  They are in our program specifically to get our help with harvesting fish.

Thank you Scott