John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30907
Property Name : BlackJack Ranch
Reservation Date : 01/14/2022 All Day - 01/14/2022 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 33 bass most 14-19"; 6 harvested
Lures Used : soft plastics

Fellow member Ron Dupree and I arrived at BlackJack on a coldish (41 degree) morning to find a full lake and no breeze. Bass activity was evident and bass were spooked off the bank by us walking, by lures sailing, by birds flying, and just about anything you can think of.  They just wouldn’t hit anything we threw.  Not a single indication of interest.  We got in the boat and stared hitting likely spots; brush piles, grass clumps, depth transitions…. Catching was fairly slow and by noon we had landed 23 and released 17 with most at 14-16” and the largest at 19”.  I need to add that catching was much slower for me than for Ron.  He was having sucess with a dropshot while I was stubborn and I kept rotating among soft plastics, crankbaits, chatterbaits, and jigs as I attempted to entice larger bass.  The answer was “If it’s not soft plastic, we won’t bite”.  The wind picked up as the day wore on and by midafternoon we had caught 10 more bass (slightly larger average size) but were dragging a big anchor (but happy that we weren’t going to be sitting in a small boat when the real windstorm hit early Saturday morning).  Fun day fishing.

Air temp 41 to 75

Water temp 51 to 54

Calm early morning transitioning to windy by 1PM

Lake full, good water clarity, minimal submerged grass