My wife thinks I am crazy, she is usually right…….

Feb 15 2022

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31143
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 02/12/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5
Lures Used : Jerkbait and TRIG

As the title states my wife thought I was crazy for scheduling a last minute trip on Saturday as we knew what kind of weather was coming.  I needed to get out of the house though and spend some quality time in the great outdoors so I dug deep in the closet and broke out my Cabelas winter gear.  Hit the water around 9 (ish) with air temps around 37 and slowing climbing to a high of 49 in Gainesville. 18 – 22 mph of steady wind and had solid cloud cover until 2 pm. I brought two 15lbs anchors and tied them off at opposite sides of the boat and had no problem holding position. Water was freezing cold to the touch and around 2+ feet of visibility.  

I quickly found a healthy weed line of submerged milfoil in 7 to 10 feet of water and to my surprise picked up 3 fish pretty quick.  The bass were holding next to timber on the edge of the weed line in around 10 ft. The first 3 were caught on a 4” suspended jerkbait diving to a depth of around 8ft.  Shortly thereafter I sacrificed my 2 and only jerkbaits to the timber of Pecan Gap.  The wind made it nearly impossible to easily maneuver to the spot and retrieve with a lure knocker, and pulling those anchors up every time was a workout to say the least.   After losing the jerkbaits things really slowed and picked up another 2 after lunch on a TRIG craw pattern. I tried other lures (lipless, squarbill, deep crank, spinner, etc) and the only other big hit (and miss) was on a 1/8 oz belly weighted Zoom Fluke. 

All-in-all a pretty good day with some decent size fish. All of the fish looked really healthy, really chunky with full bellies.  My second time at Pecan Gap and really like the location, scenery and structure throughout the lake. Thanks again to the owner of the property for opening lake access.