7.2 Pounder in the Breeze!

Feb 22 2022

Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31299
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 02/20/2022 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5 LMB caught (1@ 7.23 pounds!)
Lures Used : Swimbaits

First time visiting Bluebonnet Ridge and certainly won’t be the last! I was only able to fish from about 3pm till sundown but it was worth it. It also makes me wonder what a full, calm spring day would yield at this beautiful property.

I had to fight the wind the entire time because it was rocking 15-17 MPH until the sun started to set. The only pattern I picked up was that the fish were excited to see something flashy because I had an underspin on the entire time and they were definitely chasing it. I did notice there were crayfish EVERYWHERE so I imagine during the Spring and Summer a rage bug/lobster would slay out here.

That said, I wanted to practice by slow rolling swimbait techniques and it results in all healthy fish. I imagine if I tried throwing smaller baits I could’ve increased my numbers but I was exclusively looking for bigger bites, and I was rewarded after a few fish just over the required cull limit.

I saw an area the looked a bit sheltered from the wind so I hopped out of the boat (I always wear waders) and sloshed to a spot about calf deep in weeds and water, cast far across into still waters and painfully slow I rolled the weedless swimbait back towards be and sure enough right off the tip of a bend was a beautiful prespawn female lurking. She hammered so hard that I almost lost her as she fought back to deeper water but I pulled her in! Approximately 22” or so and weighed in at an extremely healthy weight of 7.23 pounds! I quickly took a couple photos/videos and let her back on her way.

I’d be even more excited but I had just picked up my first double digit largemouth bass last week(!) so I have been living off that high. Still, this was a very beautiful fish and I can only imagine the other lunkers that are hiding and waiting for a calm day to chase some baits!

Cheers folks

Feb 22 2022

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Way to go Alex. A 7.23, that was definitely worth your efforts. Beautiful fish!

Mark

Feb 22 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice one! How’s the vegetation out there?

Feb 22 2022

Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Nice one! How’s the vegetation out there?

Vegetation was mostly fine. You can definitely see it coming back now that it's warming up so I'm wondering how bad it might be in the summer. I saw the report where grass carp were added to mitigate the issue so I guess we’ll see the long term effects?

not sure what normal levels look like, and I don't use electronics so I'm not really sure how deep it ever was but with polarized glasses I could nearly see the bottom over the entire lake. So my guess looked about 5-6 feet in the deeper areas.

i exclusively caught fish on the complete opposite side of the damn. Well, 1 was just to the right of the launch point right off a bend in some grass, and the rest were all near the trees on the other opposite end of the lake.

the depths, grass, and overall build of the lake made me think this place is probably stellar in late spring / early summer.

Feb 22 2022

Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mark Daugherty

Way to go Alex. A 7.23, that was definitely worth your efforts. Beautiful fish!

Mark

Thanks again, Mark! Just trying to chase down those beasts to catch up to you and your wife out there on the water!

itncertainly was a beautiful fish. She looked like she was very ready for spawn.