Weaver/Smith Trip - Dogwood East

Mar 07 2022

Brian Weaver

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31186
Property Name : Dogwood Lakes Estate: East Lake
Reservation Date : 03/05/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 8 bass with 6 of them culls.
Lures Used : The entire box. Anything & Everything

Incredibly tough day on the East Lake. Overcast with lots of low clouds, light rain/drizzle off/on, and strong winds all day long. Water was fairly clear, 62 degrees.  Lake is full of timber, structure, and humps.  Deep to 23 feet near the dam and great shallow flats on the other end. Saw lots of beds in the shallows over entire lake, but not one fish on them. Nothing. Already spawned out?  We tried just about every lure/technique we had with us on the boat....shallow, deep, slow, fast, you name it, with little success.  Lake and property are incredibly awesome and beautiful. The lake was made for a great bass fishery.  Deserves another go, sometime soon.  Thank you to the owners and PWF.  

Mar 07 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I’m looking forward to getting out to the Dogwood in early April so I appreciate the report. 

You might be seeing prior year bass or blue gill beds.  When Charles McCallum and I sideview mapped my home lake a few months ago, we saw pothole beds everywhere stacked in certain areas which were likely bluegill beds.  We saw sporadic beds in a few spots that were probably bass beds.  In both cases they were from the prior year (bluegill spawn continuously till the water cools down.  

That said, bucks will start moving up and making beds in shallow water when the water hits 55-60 and the days start getting longer after winter solstice.  Until it is warm enough for long enough, the females won’t lock on beds from what I’ve seen.  

In smaller water, bass will spawn in waves throughout the year from full moon in March to May/early June from what I’ve seen. 

Mar 07 2022

Brian Weaver

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

I’m looking forward to getting out to the Dogwood in early April so I appreciate the report. 

You might be seeing prior year bass or blue gill beds.  When Charles McCallum and I sideview mapped my home lake a few months ago, we saw pothole beds everywhere stacked in certain areas which were likely bluegill beds.  We saw sporadic beds in a few spots that were probably bass beds.  In both cases they were from the prior year (bluegill spawn continuously till the water cools down.  

That said, bucks will start moving up and making beds in shallow water when the water hits 55-60 and the days start getting longer after winter solstice.  Until it is warm enough for long enough, the females won’t lock on beds from what I’ve seen.  

In smaller water, bass will spawn in waves throughout the year from full moon in March to May/early June from what I’ve seen. 

Thanks Joshua for your thoughts, suggestions.  As for the beds we saw with no fish on them or in their immediate area, we recently fished some nearby big E.TX lakes this past week, and saw LOTS of beds everywhere, with bass all over them, and also crusing the shallows (for the first time this year!!). Sight fishing was on!   Granted, last week was the first sunny, high 70s/low 80s weather of 2022 so it finally kicked things off.  And, agree…with smaller water as we have seen too, sometimes they spawn earlier and/or thoughout the year.  Guess we hoping for some of the same as what we had seen on the larger, nearby lakes.  But, with more consistent and warmer weather in the days and weeks ahead, it will only be getting better!   Good luck with your trip out there in a few weeks.  I look forward to your report.  There are some beasts out there, for sure!  Cheers,

Apr 07 2022

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Brian Weaver

Thanks Joshua for your thoughts, suggestions.  As for the beds we saw with no fish on them or in their immediate area, we recently fished some nearby big E.TX lakes this past week, and saw LOTS of beds everywhere, with bass all over them, and also crusing the shallows (for the first time this year!!). Sight fishing was on!   Granted, last week was the first sunny, high 70s/low 80s weather of 2022 so it finally kicked things off.  And, agree…with smaller water as we have seen too, sometimes they spawn earlier and/or thoughout the year.  Guess we hoping for some of the same as what we had seen on the larger, nearby lakes.  But, with more consistent and warmer weather in the days and weeks ahead, it will only be getting better!   Good luck with your trip out there in a few weeks.  I look forward to your report.  There are some beasts out there, for sure!  Cheers,

Wondering something. Last time I was there, water was very low and even the ramp was out of the water and was a muddy mess even launching a kayak. They sold water to a drilling company and lowered the water level. Is the water levels back up ok? The concrete ramp ended a good 8 foot from water level when I went. Haven’t seen any later water level reports since however.