Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31544
Property Name : Kickapoo Lake
Reservation Date : 03/10/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 13 up to 1lb 14oz
Lures Used : Spook/Spinnerbait/TRIG

My schedule opened up for the afternoon of the the 11th and this weekend is supposed to get cold again for a snap, so I decided to take advantage. 

1. You know what’s REALLY REALLY REALLY nice about PWF?  For less than $15 an hour, you can get a whole lake to yourself, on a whim, with most any type of lake/cover/etc you want to fish, and in my case, all this in about an hours drive from my house…
  2. Fished from 1:30pm to 5:30pm.
  3. Water was clear as can be – can see the bottom to almost 10 FOW and about 55 degrees. Wind was shifty from different directions but generally light. 
  4. Grass is starting to pop up and lake is about a foot low or so, nothing to ride home about. 
  5. Fish seemed very spread out – I caught them in every part of the lake, but never more than 1 or so in a spot. I worked the whole lake 2-3x taking a cover alot of water approach vs methodical. 
  6. Fish I targeted were mostly in 1-6 FOW.  I caught one on TRIG in about 8-10 FOW near a transition area by the dam from deep to shallow. 
  7. I saw a couple breaks in the water so went with a spook/spinnerbait for the most part.  I got alot fo shortstrikes on the spinner bait so modified the coloring/trailer/and added a trailer hook till I found what would get a consistent hookup.  Tried a chatterbait with no luck. 
  8. I got a few larger females to ‘roll’ on the spook a few different times and then hooked up with the male.  I didn’t have the patience to sit on the females and didn’t want to get too close to see if they were locked on the bed or still just roaming. 
  9. I noticed a couple of areas with bait but didn’t see much in the way of active bass near the bait.  
  10. Overall it was consistent with my prior trip – they weren’t quite as aggressive as before but got enough tugs on my line to be happy.
  11. Thank you to PWF and the landowner!

Mar 11 2022

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report Joshua and glad you got into some fish. Is Kickapoo a good lake for beginners to bank fish?  I am looking for a place to take my kids and need an accessible bank and ok with quantity over quality. The pictures of the property looks like a perfect bank fishery, but not 100% sure. Thanks!

Mar 11 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mike Nicoloff

Thanks for the report Joshua and glad you got into some fish. Is Kickapoo a good lake for beginners to bank fish?  I am looking for a place to take my kids and need an accessible bank and ok with quantity over quality. The pictures of the property looks like a perfect bank fishery, but not 100% sure. Thanks!

Once the grass sets in, it would be tough to bank fish the lake effectively.  The prime areas of the lake are the rounded point in the middle, the dam, and the secondary point on the otherside of where you enter and the grass line extends pretty far out.  When that happens, I don’t know, but it will be at some point late spring.  TCU is the best bank fishing I’ve come across, though other members may have thoughts about additional options. 

Mar 11 2022

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Once the grass sets in, it would be tough to bank fish the lake effectively.  The prime areas of the lake are the rounded point in the middle, the dam, and the secondary point on the otherside of where you enter and the grass line extends pretty far out.  When that happens, I don’t know, but it will be at some point late spring.  TCU is the best bank fishing I’ve come across, though other members may have thoughts about additional options. 

Thanks for the info!