Mar 20 2022

Barry Lambert

Fry

Number of Posts :

Outside Temp:  Morning 60, Afternoon 79
Water Temps: 60 To 65 
Wind: 0 to 12
Water Clarity: clear

This was my second trip to Live Oak Creek for us and it will not be our last.  Because of the cool morning temps, we opted to delay our arrival until about 11 am.  We fished until 3:00.

We boated 24 fish in total with the largest being just over 4 lbs.  Four of the fish were over 4 lbs. with the average fish being about 2.5 lbs.  Only 2 of the 24 we boated were under the 14” slot and were removed.  All fish were caught on weightless Senko-type baits in 5-10 feet of water. 

The first hour was slow, but once the water temps began to warm, so did the bite.  Our first fish was caught at 12:20, and the remaining 23 that we boated we caught between 12:30 and 3:00. That is one fish every 7 minutes during that time frame and I have no doubts that we could have continued if we had remained at the lake.  That pace coupled with the solid average size of the fish makes Live Oak Creek a favorite of ours.  Our catches from this visit are similar to our visit to the lake almost exactly one year ago (March 28, 2021): https://www.privatewaterfishing.com/forums/view_report/7162

In summary, I cannot say enough good things about Live Oak Creek.  The lake is beautiful and full of healthy, hard-fighting fish.  Lots of vegetation throughout the lake, but it didn’t present a problem as the tops are below the surface currently.  The nearby town of Valley Mills has a couple of restaurants and convenience stores. 

Mar 20 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Like, Leesburg Julian lake, this is one of those lakes that sees virtually no fishing trips with a solid day of fishing. The lake has bigger bass,  with some close to 8 lbs. It is certainly and unpressured lake if your willing to drive a couple hours from DFW or Austin.