Steven Barber

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31751
Property Name : Beaver Lake
Reservation Date : 03/25/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 12 all in 1-2 pound rage
Lures Used : spinner bait, structure bug, game changer fly, popper fly

When I got there it was very cold (in the low 40’s) and the water was dead still. The water seamed cold and there was no life on the lake. I got there 30 minutes before official sunrise and there was no bug activity, no nothing. a couple ducks were still asleep. As the day went on it started warmiing up but the fish were still non existent. Around 1030 the wind thought about blowing but then quit. As soon as it did ruffle the water I started throwing a finesse war eagle spinner bait and caught one. After that I switched to fly fishing some and started using a game changer micro shad color like a jerk bait. veeerrrrrryyyy slow. I got one strike but the fish missed the fly. So I continued that pattern and caught two more fish in two hours. The fising was very slow but the water was merky and cold. Later in the evening as everything was now warmed up more since the high that day was around 80 I started seeing a lot more bug activity on the water. I was trying everything from worms to weightless flies. I finally got a little more aggressive strike on a structure bug (black and blue flake) texas rigged. I stuck witht that a couple more times around the pond and started catching more fish. I finally caught one top water fish on top water near the dock. all but two fish were caught a good 15 ft from the bank. nothing was biting on the bank. I am assuming the cold front that kept the nights cold the few days before I fished pushed the fish deeper. I got 12 total in the boat and missed a couple. All in all it was slow but a good day. First day taking on my new drift boat without anyone to stop me from fishing (my kids) I put in 12 solid hours of fishing which I have not been able to do in probably 10 years. I was very peaceful and I had a blast. I think as the water clears up some and the water warms up a little the bite will be much more active. I just cant appreciate the quiet or the fishing any more! loved it! 

The owner stopped by and said hello partly i think becuase my drift boat with two giant oars sticking out the side was unusual to see. I know that cause he told me haha. He also said that it is better to put in a trailer closwer to the dock. He said the ground is much rockier and easier to get the boat back out. apparently he helped another member get his truck unstuck not too long ago.