Jeff Cavitt

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31858
Property Name : Lake Side
Reservation Date : 03/27/2022 All Day - 03/27/2022 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 9 Bass, 1 Cull, 8 2+lbers
Lures Used : Red Chatterbait, Swimbaits, FlashyUnderspin w/Swimbait

The property is really nice. Definitely holds fish and a lot of promising targets to throw at. Unfortunately, an hour after we arrived, powerful winds with huge gusts surprised us. We didn’t have the boat in the water. We were fishing in front of the cabin and on the pier. Both of my sons caught at least 1 bass each within the first 30 minutes on the Z-Man mini-chatter bait in bright red. Then Tommy and I each caught a bass shortly after. Then the wind hit. So I put my Deeper Chirp on an empty rod and scanned around the pier. Very nice pier by the way. Only wish I had a broom to knock out the spider webs. Didn’t scan any fish on the highest and widest settings. I let it go under the pier and scanned 2 bluegills. 

We ate an early lunch to see if the wind would die down. Then, bound and determined, we set up the boat. When we first flipped it over it had a lot of ants in it. We washed it down with the hose a bit. Noticed that the boat had been patched in the back corner. Checked for the plug and it was in place. So I loaded up the boat with a few things and took it to the pier to get my youngest son. We headed to the far end/right cut. Had 2 bass on in the first 3 casts of the Flashy Underspin with the Big Bite Baits – Cane Thumper on it. One bass jumped out of the water and relieved itself of the lure. So only boated that 1. Then it was fight the wind. There was no slots on the inside of the boat to tie an anchor line. At least none that I could see or I am a custom to with the club boats. Otherwise I would have tied on the anchor and used it. After the frustration of fighting the wind, we headed back to the pier to swap out kids. I turned around and noticed that the back end was taking on quite a bit of water. So I took the 2nd son over to the left cut and I landed a much larger 2 pounder on the same lure. More wind and an open face spinning reel malfunction, I felt my shoes were getting soaked. The water was moving up the boat sections. I don't think we were in danger of sinking fast, but we decided to land the boat and empty the gear and water. We tried a little bank fishing, but the kids didn’t want to fish outside of the manicured area.

So 7 bass from the bank and 2 from the boat. We called it an early day and went home defeated. The boat is only rated up to 365 pounds. It’s the smallest boat I have ever seen in the club. Perfect for 1 person or 1 person with kid. I wouldn't use that boat again. If this property gets a bigger boat, I will go back and give it another shot. (not on a windy day) It would be nice to have access to the cabin for restroom visits, even if we didn’t book the cabin. I understand if this is a rule set forth by the owner and that’s fine. Just saying it would be nice to have when your 12-year-old discovers that they have diarrhea. 

Nice property – bad day.

Mar 28 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Honestly, it is the kid factor – anything that can go wrong has a significant possibility of doing so.  Weather forecast – chamber of commerce forecast? – expect a thunderstorm.  brand new boat? – distinct possibility it sinks.  new battery?  definitely going to run out in the first hour.  ask your kid to hold something? – it is definitely going in the water never to be seen again. 

sorry your day was rough – sounds like you made the most of it though.   In 16% of my trips with my 12 year old, I’ve had to swim in the water at one point or another. 

Mar 30 2022

Jeff Cavitt

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Honestly, it is the kid factor – anything that can go wrong has a significant possibility of doing so.  Weather forecast – chamber of commerce forecast? – expect a thunderstorm.  brand new boat? – distinct possibility it sinks.  new battery?  definitely going to run out in the first hour.  ask your kid to hold something? – it is definitely going in the water never to be seen again. 

sorry your day was rough – sounds like you made the most of it though.   In 16% of my trips with my 12 year old, I’ve had to swim in the water at one point or another. 

Wow! Glad to hear that I am not alone. This was my second time taking my sons. All I want to do is show them a good time fishing with their dad. Share some of the awesome moments that I have had in previous trips.