Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31975
Property Name : MK Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/02/2022 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 7 bass, 6 crappie caught
Lures Used : Rage bugs and small paddle tails

First time visiting MK. Beautiful day with a nice breeze, but the bluebird skies had me worried. I could only fish from about 2:30 until sunset so a limited time on the water to figure things out. I started from the bank just to see how things looked and immediately noticed a couple very large bass on beds less than two feet from the shore – always a fun sight.

I hopped in the jon boat and wandered around the lake clockwise about 10 feet from the shore. I didn’t pick up anything on bigger swimbaits or spinner baits. I eventually switched over to a wacky rig worm and started to pick up a couple. I switched over to a square ball at the far end of the lake and for a 30 minute window began picking up fish every cast – definitely a fun bite! That eventually died off and I switched one of my rods to a rage bug – pitching right at the reeds, letting it fall to the edge of the water, popping once and getting hammered. I picked up 4 largies that were all 3-4 pounds at the very back corner close to one of the houses.

The next bit of fishing really blew my mind, and was a blast. By this point I realized I needed to cover some deeper water so I wandered out into the middle of the lake and started pitching a 3” paddletail and one after another began scooping massive black, and white crappie. Personally, I’ve never caught crappie this big in my life! The biggest was right at 2.5 pounds – a true crappie slab! The black crappie were also the darkest crappie I have ever seen. They were such a fun subtle bite – I imagine on a spinning reel they’ve be so fun.

After the pass through the middle of the lake it was getting close to sunset so I finished up my clockwise pattern and picked up a few more nice sized largies closer to the boathouse area. I did miss 3-4 during my wacky rig portion of the day but otherwise landed a decent amount of fish for the short period I was out there!

Cool property and not too far from DFW so I’ll likely be back out there now that I have more familiarity with the bite!