Beautiful property - slow day of fishing

Apr 11 2022

Tim Morgan

Fry

Number of Posts :

My brother and I fished Pecan Gap for most of the day on Saturday.  It was a clear and sunny day – mid-50s in the morning and it warmed up into the upper 80’s by mid-afternoon.  The biggest challenge was a fairly constant 20 mph SW wind all day.  The water was fairly clear for about two feet and there was a fair amount of grass/weed on the lake bottom.  We saw a number of beds, but no fish on the beds. This is a beautiful property and the lake appears to offer alot of fishing possibilities.  That said, we pretty much struck out all day.  My brother caught two small bass and otherwise, we were completely blanked.  We fished all parts of the lake and threw just about everything, including, wacky- and Texas-rigged worms, shallow-running Rapala- type minnows and square-billed crank baits, top-water, spinner bait, chatter bait, etc. with virtually no action.  I was hopeful that with the warming temperatures, there would be some topwater action later – but there was no surface action. I like ned-rigs, but there was too much weed on the bottom for that to work.  The mini-pontoon boat was nice and the lake access is very nice.  Again, this was a beautiful property and seems loaded with potential, but the fish took the day off while we were there.