Nice bite at K Bar

Apr 14 2022

Eric Carr

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I fished alone Tuesday 4/12 with cloud cover, an occasional rain shower and VERY windy conditions - my first trip to K Bar.  There are three lakes to fish and I began with Golden Pond by trying to imagine how I would launch my Twin Troller boat down the exceptionally steep slope (these are quarry lakes).  Bank fishing there would have been a challenge, so I put my truck in 4WD and managed to get it in the lake (the boat).  The Twin Troller is great in the wind – much easier that any alternative I am aware of other than maybe an I pilot.  This is the first time I’ve fished a quarry lake but I had help from previous reports on PWF.  The couple dozen I caught were dinks on up to 2.7 lbs.  The lake was white-capping so I trailered up and ate lunch and took a good long break.  Lake Raymond, literally 150 feet away, was much easier on the launch.  There is a residence on this lake and a couple of docks, and it is larger than Golden.  It seemed to fish just as well as Golden.  The weather got worse and I barely made it back in on my battery after a couple of hours working around the lake.  All together I landed 59 LMB, none quite reaching 3 lbs. (I never made it to the biggest lake, Lake TD).  What worked best was Fat Albert in pumkin on a ¼ oz wide-gap head.  With the wind I didn’t want to worry with Senkos or anything slow.  I spoke with the property manager’s wife for a while (her husband is recovering from back surgery), and she was incredibly pleasant and hospitable.  Very good trip with much more water than a person can fish in a day!