Couldn't get the ladies (like in real life)

Apr 15 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32167
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 04/14/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 16 up to 4lbs 1oz
Lures Used : Spinnerbait/Spook

Fished Bluebonnet today, Thursday 4/14.  While I was able to find fish, I couldn’t find pre or post spawn females at BB.  We are in between cycles so males were still hanging on beds but I couldn’t find but a couple of females nearby.

1. In the water around 10am and off by 2:30.  Fished 4 hours at BB and ½ and hour at the Valley.  Water was 64 and stained on the deeper in of the lake with visibility at 3 feet.  Clear on the other end in the shallows.  Milfoil starting to fill in but the whole lake is fishable (I’ve only fished it in the summer). 
  2. I was able to find a nice topwater bite in the shallow/clear water. 
  3. In stained water, I used a white willowleaf spinnerbait with a white speed craw trailer.    Nothing doing on plastics.
  4. Used a few other things but wasn’t fishing super hard, and the bite with the spinner/spook combo was consistent enough to keep me happy while I fielded some work calls in between casts. 
  5. I rolled up on a few larger fish suspended in the upper part of the water column near the dam – they were about 30 yards off the bank.  
  6. I saw several run ups on the first island closest to the dam where bass had pinned some baitfish.  Hit and runs and they didn’t stick around long.  
  7. I then moved to the Valley to bank fish and caught 6 more.  They were better fish with one coming in at 4lbs 1oz .  She shook in my hand and I slipped on the soft part of the bank near the dam and into the water she went as I was trying to get a picture.  Didn’t lose my phone fortunately. 
  8. 1 by the saw grass left of the dock, 1 off the dock, and 4 with long casts off the dam in the deepest water I could find.  
  9. Decided to pack it up and leave to beat traffic after a nice easy day of fishing.