Rick Christy

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32130
Property Name : Kickapoo Lake
Reservation Date : 04/15/2022 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10 Total: 7 over 14" Largest 4.10 lb; 3 under 14"
Lures Used : Wacky Worm, Super Fluke, Top Water

This was my first time at Kickapoo, but probably won’t be the last.  Got to the lake late and started fishing about 1:30.  Threw a rattle trap from the bank to get started and had a hit on my second cast, a small one that threw the hook.  That was my last strike for a long time. I’ve never been “skunked” on a PWF lake, but i was wondering if this would be a first. It wasn’t.  It was a windy afternoon, guessing 10-15 mph, but finally started getting some hits on a watermellon green wacky worm, the first 3 were the culls.  As the  afternoon went along i started getting some hits on the wacky worrm and a couple on the super fluke.  All good, healthy, hard fighting fish, a couple in the 3-4 lb range. Caught them all around the lake but in deeper water.  Then about 6:00 the wind laid down and the lake was perfectly calm.  Put on a topwater and caught several on top in the 1.5 to 2.5 lb range. Then as I was deciding it was time to head in I threw the wacky again and hooked the 4 lb 10 oz bass.  A great looking fat fish. Really thought that would be my last fish, but “one more cast” hooked a nice 2 lb fish.  So the day started tough, but ended on a high note.  Already looking forward to another trip.

Another interesting thing happened.  Late in the afternoon when the lake was still I was fishing along the east side and behind me I heard huge thrashing and splashing. I turned to look and 4 calfs were swiming across the lake.  There was a mother cow waiting for them on the other side.  Maybe that happens all the time but it was a first for me.