Great property but no cigar

Apr 17 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hat & Star Ranch was a great place to spend time away from the busy city life. Bill that works there was super friendly and including the owner whom I had spoken to on the phone. The owner Robby was quite helpful and hospitable on my stay. First & foremost, I was there to catch fish but somehow I was provided this cozy clean cabin. This is the first time I think anyone was able to stay on the property. The cute cabin has everything that I needed. I know there are more comfort things to come like an outdoor kitchen, another bed (removing bunks), TVs, etc. What was really nice on the property was a separate bathroom/shower for when my wife needs a toilet (haha). Wished I had the family there with me. The ponds were incredible and very scenic. The owner definitely takes great pride in the maintenance of the property. The fishing was how I spent most of the time but the cabin was quite comfortable. Wished I had a chance to book longer to get more fishing and things done during my stay. Fishingwise, the big fish avoided me on this trip. The water clarity was super clear and unbelievably calm that day making it super tough and the bass easy to spook. How does that happen with all the winds we’ve been having!? Water temp was 70-71 degrees. There were no fish on the beds. I tried for the first few hours trying to locate them in 10’ or less. They were not relating to the grass line but were suspended in deeper water. I ended up catching 15 and culled 15. The fish were mostly caught in 16’ of water. I was sitting in 20’ of water and casting diagonally. Better luck next time with a better strategy. As always thank you Hat & Star owner and PWF!

Apr 18 2022

Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thanks for that report. Great information on the lodging. It looks like from your photos that you used your boat. Any issues with launching? I know the description mentions larger boats are good to launch, but I'm interested to hear about your experience. 

Apr 18 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Stephen Ford

Thanks for that report. Great information on the lodging. It looks like from your photos that you used your boat. Any issues with launching? I know the description mentions larger boats are good to launch, but I'm interested to hear about your experience. 

Hey Stephen,  I was a little nervous at first because it mentioned having a 4x4 wouldn't be an issue. I have a Toyota Sequoia with the 5.7L engine but 2 wheel drive. I brought an older 21' Triton fiberglass boat. The rock ramp was narrow. But the slope was not steep which was good from past experience launching on a rock ramp. I did have to relaunch the trailer more to the right because the left side drops off. Other than that, my truck didn't have an issue pulling the boat and trailer back up.

Apr 18 2022

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Thanks for taking pics of the cabin, looks like it will be a great lodging option for our members going forward!  Onwer is doing a lot of nice work out there on the lake and the amenities.

Apr 18 2022

Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

Hey Stephen,  I was a little nervous at first because it mentioned having a 4x4 wouldn't be an issue. I have a Toyota Sequoia with the 5.7L engine but 2 wheel drive. I brought an older 21' Triton fiberglass boat. The rock ramp was narrow. But the slope was not steep which was good from past experience launching on a rock ramp. I did have to relaunch the trailer more to the right because the left side drops off. Other than that, my truck didn't have an issue pulling the boat and trailer back up.

Thanks for the insight.  That is good to help provide a visual. I don’t think I will have an issue with pulling it up the ramp.  My concern was the type of ramp and width to work. 

Apr 18 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Quigley

Thanks for taking pics of the cabin, looks like it will be a great lodging option for our members going forward!  Onwer is doing a lot of nice work out there on the lake and the amenities.

Scott for sure, especially with the cabin being waterfront and having a covered outdoor kitchen makes it even better. The waterfront grass area was maintained and it has a fire pit. Hopefully he'll put chairs around the fire pit or bring your own. 

Apr 18 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Stephen Ford

Thanks for the insight.  That is good to help provide a visual. I don’t think I will have an issue with pulling it up the ramp.  My concern was the type of ramp and width to work. 

Stephen, it's hard gravel rock and around 10' wide. If you can stay on the ramp, you should be fine.  The owner didn't think I would have an issue so that was enough encouragement haha! Hope that helps.