Windy, but solid day at Masagana

Apr 20 2022

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

First off, I’m glad to see this property is back open to members after being closed for the past few months.  It wa the first property I fished after joining the club, so was nice to revisit it.

As I told a buddy yesterday, I swear I attract the windiest days on the calendar that somehow fall on the few days I am able to fish.  I got to the lake and on the water at 9am.  Air temperature was 57, but the wind was already 12-15mph.  The water was warm, so I decided to throw topwater just to see if there were any takers.  Sure enough, on the second cast, one blasted it about 30 yards from the boat ramp along the wall and I landed a nice fish, albeit thinned out post spawn.  No other takers on topwater, so I quickly moved on to other things.  The wind really started howling around 10am and was a constant 18-22mph according to weather bug with gusts of more than that the rest of the day.  

Ended up catching 12 fish, which for the wind was not bad in my estimation. Fish were healthy, some skinnier than others post spawn, weighing between 1.8lbs – 3.2lbs.  My last trip to Masagana, I caught nearly all fish on senkos and craws.  Given the wind, that was a tough task so only caught one on soft plastics.  Had the best luck on squarebills and also caught fish on spinnerbaits and jerkbaits.  Oddly, I didn’t catch more than 1 fish in any spot on the property; 12 fish in 12 different spots.  Best luck was the left side of the lake working of the weedline in the deeper portions.  Casting with the wind allowed for some long casts and most fish were caught within the first couple of cranks of the reel.

Really enjoy this property and can’t wait to fish it in more ideal conditions later this year.