TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32231
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 04/24/2022 PM - 04/24/2022 PM
Total Fish/Sizes : 31
Lures Used : Rattletrap, jig, swimbait

We had a blast on our family outing to Hickory Creek Ranch on 4/24/22. It was a great new property for us. We fished the big lake. The property has a great dock and rock ramp. Launching the 21’ fiberglass boat was easy. We launched around 130 pm and got off the water around 6 pm. The winds were howling but the fishing was excellent. Water clarity was stained and temps were 75-76 degrees. We caught bass all over the lake. The wind is your friend in bass fishing they say and it’s true. The dam was the only calm part of the the lake but I was able to catch a few there too. The bass were still shallow from 1’-3’ of water. I was mostly using a swim jig where my wife was using a rattletrap and swimbait. They were hitting the swim jig on the drop really shallow. If you are looking for solid fish and not dinks, this is the place. We caught 31 bass, culled 7, and 1 crappie. Even though we culled 7, they were just under 14”. The deepest part of the lake was around the dock and the overflow pipe at the dam. Anyways, it was a long trip but it was definitely worth it. It’s a newer lake but should be a double digit in a couple of years. Thank you Hickory Creek owner and PWF!

May 15 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Looks like great fish and a great trip, Tri! Got an upcoming trip with my teenager to this lake and hoping to have the same success as your family. What colors worked best for the jigs and swimbaits? What was the best rigging for the swimbait? Thanks in advance 

May 16 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Merlin Talley

Looks like great fish and a great trip, Tri! Got an upcoming trip with my teenager to this lake and hoping to have the same success as your family. What colors worked best for the jigs and swimbaits? What was the best rigging for the swimbait? Thanks in advance 

Hi Merlin, these were similar to what I was throwing. I was also using a chartreuse and black hair jig with a dark trailer. I ran out so I don’t have a pic. I would cast it to the grass edge and swim it back if I don’t get a strike on the fall. My wife was using a shad color ½ oz rattletrap with some success as well.

May 20 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

Hi Merlin, these were similar to what I was throwing. I was also using a chartreuse and black hair jig with a dark trailer. I ran out so I don’t have a pic. I would cast it to the grass edge and swim it back if I don’t get a strike on the fall. My wife was using a shad color ½ oz rattletrap with some success as well.

Thank you very much, Tri!