New member first outing to Dogwood Lakes: West Lake 4/24

Apr 28 2022

Ben Roberson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Let me just start by saying what a beautiful lake this is.  I had the lake all day on Sunday, April 24 and got started around 7:30.  The weather was perfect when I arrived so I jumped in the very nice boat on the property and got started.  I fished hard for large bass the first three hours or so.  The wind started blowing pretty steady and strong around 9:00AM.  After 3 hours or so, I got a little frustrated as I hadn’t landed anything yet so I decided to pull out the ultra light set up and just see what I could catch.  The wind continued to blow hard so I found the best spots I could to get out of it as much as possible.  I immediately started catching bluegill of all sizes when I made the switch and ended up catching over 30 fish.  29 Bluegill and 3 small bass that were culled.  All three bass were 12” or under.  About 10 of the Bluegill were 8.5” or bigger, so some nice ones in there.  I was surprised that I didn’t catch any Redear, Green Sunfish or Crappie.

I took my live scope with me and marked numerous big fish but couldn’t get any of them to bite.

I’ll be back for more at this lake and look forward to trying many others.

If you ever try this lake, I’d recommend taking an anchor with you if you use the provided boat.  I’m glad I took mine because the wind was pretty strong.