Reggie Thomas

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32400
Property Name : Alysha Ranch
Reservation Date : 04/29/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 81 bass - biggest was about 3 pounds
Lures Used : fighting frogs, soft plastic creature baits

We arrived at Alysha Ranch around 9:30am to overcast skies and fished until about 6pm.  Most of the day was overcast with winds around 15 mph.  The moss / grass has taken about half the lake, mainly the shallow end of it, along with 10-15 ft of the sides all the way around.  The water looked quite settled compared to previous trips.  Usually it is very muddy.  The lake level  was a little high. 

Poppa Joe and Shuan spent the entire day searching for crappie and had a blast.  Between the two of them, they caught 60 crappie, all of which we removed. 

Because of the moss, grass and wind, bass fishing was very difficut.  By the time you got a cast off, a gust of wind would blown you into the bank somewhere.  Between trying to retrieve your line and getting the grass off the trolling motor it just made for some very difficult times until . . .   Boom!  A good two lber exploded up thru the grass and hit my soft plastic lure as it was sliding across the top in the wind!  At that point we realized the bass were under the thick matts of grass and moss. So we just sat there for 10 minutes or so and fished every inch of what we could reach and it was like dragging something thru a mine field.  Once we figured this out, we fought the wind and moss just long enough to get past the area we were fishing and then let the wind push us into our next holding position.  Using this technique, worked for the remainder of the day!  We caught a total of 86 bass and removed 35 under 14 inches.  On average, the fish seemed to be smaller than what we normal catch at Alysha but it may have simply been because they were unable to fight due to being tangle in the grass / moss.  The largest fish of the day (3 lbs) was caught by the crappie fisheman.  All others were mainly two lbs or less. 

There were areas were the grass was so thick, if you caught a fish, it would literally be laying on top of the grass and had no chance of getting back in the water.  I really love fishing Alysha Ranch and have always had great success, but unless the grass/moss situation changes, I will not be going back there any time soon.

Tight Lines! 

May 03 2022

Joe V. Smith

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

How were they cauching the crappie ?

May 03 2022

Reggie Thomas

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joe V. Smith

How were they cauching the crappie ?

They caught them using electric chicken, popcicle, and blue and white jigs.  My understanding is they were fishing about 3-4 ft mostly between the dock and the spillway. 

May 05 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Reggie Thomas

They caught them using electric chicken, popcicle, and blue and white jigs.  My understanding is they were fishing about 3-4 ft mostly between the dock and the spillway. 

This lake is one of the most consistant producers of solid 2-4 lb fish. If it were one hour closer to Dallas it would be booked 2-3 days a week. For those willing to make the drive it usually pays big dividends.