Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32534
Property Name : Dogwood Lakes Estate: West Lake
Reservation Date : 05/08/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5 fish - (1) cull, (1) 6 pounder, 3 others
Lures Used : Everything!

Second time fishing out at West Lake and by far the fullest I have seen the lake. Granted I’ve only been a PWF member for right at one year (happy anniversary to that!) but the lake was way higher than I have seen it in the previous visits out to Dogwood.

It was a beautiful day out but I could never really pick up a pattern. The only dink I caught was about 11” and was caught on a bone colored paddle tail. I had a few misses on a swim bait but just couldn’t pick anything up. The weather was fantastic and all the other variables seemed to be in my favor, but that’s why they call it fishing rather than catching, right?

I always bring by Deeper Chirp with me just to get a scan of what’s lurking below and not too far where the dock used to be (near the inlet pipe) there is a tree that fell and runs into the lake – if anyone has been to West Lake they likely know what I’m referring to – and we all know to fish structure, right? Well, I scanned that area and counted no less than 20 or so fish hunkered down near the bottom and suspended a few feet off the ground. That does you no good when they’re not interested in everything you’re throwing at them but food for thought for those going out there next time – hope it helps someone else out!

That said, I hung back in the area that looked the most fishy and when the temperatures were right at 90 degrees I hunkered down and threw a big Burrito bait (with 40 pound braid) beyond the thick lily pads and slow retrieved back towards the boat and got absolutely obliterated by this beautiful gal. I weighed her right at 6.05 pounds. We all know more beasts even bigger are lurking but having those stars align is the hardest part of this fun game that we play!

Either way it’s such an amazing property that I’ll always come back for me. The club boat is great, the privacy is unmatched, and Jesse is always so kind to say hello and ask if everything is okay.