Bruce Bernard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32605
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 05/14/2022 All Day - 05/14/2022 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : Bunch
Lures Used : Topwaters and crankbaits

I fished 5/14 with Michael Smith at Hickory Creek.

The water was warm and the wind was light so we threw top waters as long as the fish were taking them which was most of the day.  

We took a 5 hour break in the middle of the day to eat and nap and got back on the water at about 5:30 and the fish continued crushing everything on top.

The ranch was beautiful as always and the wildlife kept us entertained all day long! 

May 15 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Love the topwater bite was hot! What topwater baits worked best? Any money spots on either lake? Camping and fishing here with my teenager end of the month and hoping he can experience his first topwater blowup and catch.Thanks in advance, Bruce! 

May 15 2022

Scott Porto

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the report Bruce, I love fishing there. Quick question, did you fish any on the back smaller lake?

Thanks

May 16 2022

Bruce Bernard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Merlin Talley

Love the topwater bite was hot! What topwater baits worked best? Any money spots on either lake? Camping and fishing here with my teenager end of the month and hoping he can experience his first topwater blowup and catch.Thanks in advance, Bruce! 

Merlin, You should have a great outing!   Toads and poppers worked best for us.

The cove to the left on the dockside was the most consistent, but we caught fish everywhere.  Most of the bass were 2 ½ -5 pounds.  Didn’t fish the back lake.

May 16 2022

Bruce Bernard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Porto

Thanks for the report Bruce, I love fishing there. Quick question, did you fish any on the back smaller lake?

Thanks

I agree Scott, this is a great lake to fish!  

I didn’t venture back to the smaller lake.  Previous mid-May trips led me to believe that the back lake would be too filled-in with vegetaion to fish it properly, but I should have at least checked.