Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32640
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 05/18/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 36 up to 3 lbs
Lures Used : TR & wacky worms, top water, spinner bait

Had a great time fishing Post Oak the morning of May 18, and really enjoyed the trip.  Caught a total of 36 fish, largest was 3 lbs, and 28 were culls.  The vegetation is in good shape – very fishable, but enough grass and weeds to provide cover.  The water was up to the spillway, so there must have been some good rain recently.  Caught a good amount of fish on topwater, which is always fun – primarily a Heddon Chugger Spook (a lure that’s probably as old as I am) and a white/clear whopper plopper.  The rest we caught mainly on wacky worms, with a few on TR worms.  Now for my big fish story:  On the far side kitty-corner from the launch we encountered something new to us.  We were tube fishing and all of a sudden must have startled two big carp, and no exaggeration, these fish were as large as a grown man!  We’ve both seen plenty of big carp, but these two fish were otherworldly.  They were thrashing and swirling around us above the water for at least 15 seconds,, and frankly it was a little scary.  Their fins were as large as shark fins!  They were the biggest freshwater fish I’ve ever seen in person, and I’ve seen some big ‘uns.  It was maybe a little too exciting – it felt like we were in the movie “Jaws”, especially since we were flipping around in the water.  I guess these must be grass carp, but not sure.

May 20 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Yeah, that happened to my daughter and I last fall – we ran up on one close to the boat and I’ve never seen someone jump that high on a boat before.  Massive!