May 21 2022

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32579
Property Name : Bennett Lake
Reservation Date : 05/20/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 17 LMB up to 4.5lbs, 12 culled
Lures Used : Wacky Worm, Swim Jig, Fluke, Tx Rig Swimming Worm, Shallow Crankbait, Frog, Popper

A guest and I fished Bennett on Friday from about 7am to 5:45pm.  Conditions started overcast with mild breeze early with it turning sunny, hot and windy by afternoon.  Water is clear w/ 4-6 ft of visibility and ranged from 84 to 89 degrees.  In case you haven’t read the other recent reports, the entire north half of the lake is completely grown up w/ grass.  This wasn’t the kind of grass that just makes the fishing tough or limits the techniques you can use, but it can disable your ability to navigate the boat ( see the photo of the trolling motor).  Just be warned so you can be prepared.  Also, if anyone knows what kind of grass this is please leave a comment.  It seemed more like hay than typical aquatic veg.

Best lures were the wacky rig (Missile Baits “The 48”, and Strike King “Ocho”), and a white swim jig w/ paddletail trailer.  Also caught a couple on a white pearl fluke, and topwater popper.  Had one blow up on the frog, but no catches.  I’m just trying to learn to work a frog, but someone better might have found that to be the perfect bait for the conditions.  We boated 17 wtih the largest at 4.5lbs and another that was just shy of 4lbs.  The rest were 12-14” culls.  Of course I also lost 3 decent fish right at the boat with them throwing the swim jig.  The thing that makes this noteworthy is that they were on 3 consecutive casts to the exact same spot and the fish felt and fought exactly the same, jumped the same and threw the lure at exactly the same place.  It was like triple deja vu and was really cool.  Just wish at least a couple hung on for 2 more seconds.  All in all it was a good day to be out on the water.