Mike Mehlmann

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32404
Property Name : Frannies Lake
Reservation Date : 06/11/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 40 - Most were 3 to 5.2 lbs
Lures Used : swim jigs, tx rigged 11" worm and crankbaits

Myself and 2 guests fished from 11:30 to sunset and caught 40 fish; most between 3 and 5.2 lbs.  80% were caught in or near the creek channel off wood.  Swimjigs, 11” worms and cranks.  My guests (College buddy Bob and his 16 year old son Diego) flew in from Phoenix just to fish pwf lakes with me.  Bob is coming off a 2 year battle vs parotid cancer (2 surgeries, chemo and radiation).  He said this day of bass fishing was the best he has ever had in his life, which was my goal as his guide.  It was really rewarding to help him and his son create this shared memory.  

fyi...most of the fish were lean (the 5 pounders we caught looked like 6’s and 7’s)….perhaps because of the volatile weather and late spawn this year, they have not been as actively on the feed yet.  I have noticed this on all lakes I have fished this May and June.  This lake appears very healthy.  Lots of bait and it fishes like a mini lake Fork.  There is a fish otter, that came within 2 feet of the boat and slapped his tail on the water to try to ward us off.  Also, lots of wild boars on the banks at sunset.    

Jun 15 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

That is an awesome story and happy for you and your friend and glad he would seem to be recovering well!

Post spawn seemed really short this year before a large population of fish headed deep and made the summer transition here in NT because of the heatwave in May.  Alot of the bigger fish that would have fed up on roaming shallow bluegill beds in lakes of this size jumped right into deeper haunts (though I noted the same pattern happening on larger lakes like Fork).  Not that you can’t find big fish moving up shallow from time to time, just the % of the population doing so has been smaller. I caught a larger bass just this morning in our lake that had a catfish tail sticking out of her and was caught at 12 feet.  The hot water also increases metabolism which burns more calories so they aren’t as efficient at coverting food to size.  

I know the lake has a fair amount of shad in it.  My first visit I cast into a cove in the back and the entire cove lit up with shad jumping. It is just…hot right now.