Had a Lot of Company

Jun 20 2022

Ford Rhodes

Fry

Number of Posts :

I fished two days back to back. The fishing was pretty slow, which is to be expected with the heat. I still enjoyed it. The down side was that both days, I was not alone. First day there is a kayaker there at sunup. No problem, the guy never got too close to me or bothered me in any way and he packed up pretty early and went up to the neighborhood on the south side of the lake. Later in the day two kayakers came from the north bank. They were a little loud, but never got near me or bothered me. My second day was less enjoyable. Same guy from the day before was out and still no issue. A couple boys came to fish off the dam and abut that time I was getting a lot of bites. After using a cast net they started fishing with some type of bream they had caught and one hooked a large bass. He then proceeded to shout and fight the fish for a solid few minutes. He was holding his rod upside down, and the bass got hung up in the plants near the bank. I have noticed a lot of broken off line around there and even dead fish tangled there on previous trips. They asked me to help and I did even though I was a little irritsted. Just some kids wanting to fish I though. I get the fish for them. A solid six pound plus bass. I give it to them thinking they want a picture and they take it and leave over the back of the dam. At this point I realize I just helped them poach that fish. I was pretty mad about that. Later on toward the end of the day two kayakers showed up and unlike the others, they were within casting distance of me the entire time. The two boys also came back and I was pretty much over the BS with all of them. I wasn’t going to catch anything with these people making noise all over the lake and spooking everything, so I headed out. Hoefully something can be done to at least keep the poachers out.

Jun 20 2022

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Too bad hearing that the big fish are being harvested and doubt it was the first time. How does it work at Brushy Creek?  I know the fishing experience isn't completely “private”, but is it truly public land or is the land private but the owner opens it up to others?  

Jun 20 2022

Cole Porter

Admin

Number of Posts :

Ford,

Glad that you were able to have fun and salvage your trip even though portions of it were irritating.

To clarify, out of over 100 properties, we only have 2 lakes that you may be joined by non-club members while fishing. They are Kyle – Brushy Creek Lake, and Glen Rose – Rough Creek Lodge.

Typically we would not keep a lake in the club that does not meet our expectations; however, due to the popularity of the lake we have decided to keep it in the club as opposed to terminating our lease.

These are the notes on the property regarding the issue:

"Please note that we will not refund any monies on this property. Expect to have others fishing on the lake. We understand that this is not ideal and not what we want like a typical property. However, the fishing is generally very good and many of our members have requested we keep it, despite, other parties fishing on the lake."

The lake is private, it is not public.

Sincerely,

Cole PWF

Jun 23 2022

Ford Rhodes

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mike Nicoloff

Too bad hearing that the big fish are being harvested and doubt it was the first time. How does it work at Brushy Creek?  I know the fishing experience isn't completely “private”, but is it truly public land or is the land private but the owner opens it up to others?  

Mike, it is private, but there are a few properties with access. Never had an issue other than the one kayak guy and these two dudes who weren’t supposed to be there. They came twice that day. I have never had anyone else there except one guy on the dam and he was just doing catch and release, until this trip. Out of five kayakers this trip, only one was a jackass.