Happy Father's Day at Malouf

Jun 21 2022

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

While the kiddos were sleeping, I was able to sneak out to Malouf for a quick morning of fishing.  Seeing the weather report of very hot, sunny and 1mph wind, I had very low expectations; as happens many times in fishing, i was wrong.  I was thinking I was going ot need to fish soft plastics and slow, but figured I’d give topwater a try as it’s my favorite.  Launched at sunrise and started casting to the left of the boat ramp and had blowups on first three casts.  Short strikes, tail slaps or just plain dinks, they missed (or I missed all three).  A couple casts later, I got a nice 2.5lber to start the day.  Continued to work popper around the entire lake edge along the weedline and thru the trees, fishing entirely topwater until 8am.  Caught 14 LMB, ranging from dink to 3lbs.  Very aggressive blowups with multiple fish missing and coming completely out of the water.

Once the topwater bite slowed, I moved to jerkbaits and chatterbaits around the timber.  Caught 8 in the timber, then started moving around the lake again.  Tried multiple t-rig setups and weightless senkos and only had one single bite; very odd with the air and water temp.  Worked the outside weedline again and landed six more before I got off the water at 10:45am.  28 in total.  Didn’t take any pics as it was so hot I wanted to get the fish back in the water as soon as possible.  Grass/weedline is in great condition and should really hold some good fish throughout the summer.

Really enjoyed this lake as the fish were healthy and still were feisty even with the temps!  Not sure if this property is going to look at harvesting in the future, but at least half of my fish would’ve been culls.  Given the lake depth and abundance of forage, I think this place has potential to grow some biguns if the small guys were culled out.