Enjoying the Day and the Scenery

Jul 07 2022

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

First time fishing Pecan Gap, really pretty property.  Hit the water at sunrise (air temp was 86 degrees with 10 mph winds) and took my only picture of the day, which I think accurately reflects the day; beauitful, fun and a few fish in between.  Threw a few casts off the dock in front of the feeder with a popper and caught a massive bluegill to start the day.  Worked the weedline on the same side of the dock all the way down to the timber with a popper and a frog.  Would’ve sworn a frog blown up would’ve been in the works, but nothing doing throughout the entire property.  Caught a couple of 2lb – 2.5lbs near the first point.  Good fighters and healthy fish; the first one inhaled it.  Worked the entire weedline/bank with topwater and got 2 more, a dink and a 1.5 lber.

The wind picked up to 12-15mph around 8am, so topwater was done.  I had to start anchoring in spots to avoid getting blown around.  Threw the entire tackle box for the rest of the day in each spot.. .Rotated 7 rods in each spot; used chatterbait, jerk bait, crankbait, senko, rage craw, regular t-rig worm, mag t-rig worm, wacky rig, trench hawg, jig and probably a few others I’ve since forgotten.  No real pattern and caught fish scattered here and there with the most success on a jerkbait.  Got a good laugh that i caught a 7 inch bass on a 10 inch mag worm and another dink that was smaller than my jerkbait (I applaud that fishes tenacity).  All fish minus one were caught in the “diamond” area between the two humps and the two points.  Nothing doing in any of the timber areas.  Hopped off the water at 1pm as it was getting toasty.

Given the hot temps lately and the wind today, 13 fish wasn’t bad (dink to 3lbs).  Given i only missed one fish for the day, made it even better.  But, after fishing when I saw the only picture I took was sunrise, I kind of smiled and thought that was one heck of a day.  I don’t get to fish as much as i’d like to anymore with two young kids, so peaceful mornings on the water, watching deer come get a drink, while hoping to catch one of PWF’s monsters is about as good as it gets.  I truly appreciate the PWF staff and the land owners who allow us to enjoy days like the one I had.