John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33253
Property Name : BlackJack Ranch
Reservation Date : 07/16/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 44 with 10 harvested; 1.5 - 3#
Lures Used : popper, dropshot, frog, chatter bait, lipless crank

Member Ron Dupree and I enjoyed a morning catching 44 bass and left the lake before the scorching began. Not bad for the middle of summer. During an early topwater bite, I had more success using a popper than Ron did using a frog.  We both had many more closed-mouth hits that true takes.  That bite died and Ron started catching bass from the pier using a lipless crankbait.  I followed with a chatterbait and added a few more.  We launched the boat and quickly determined that the bass seemed either more abundant of more inclined to bite in 10 feet of water than in the shallower areas despite fewer clumps of vegetation in the deeper areas.  A dropshot was by far the most productive technique and the bass hit any color worm as long as it was “Redbug”.  Throwing anything else proved a waste of time.  By the way, don’t compete with Ron when the dropshot bite is on.  You may be embarrassed. The bite died around 10:45. 

Total of 44 bass landed.  10 harvested.  Largest bass were about 3 pounds.  Most were 1.5 – 2 pounds.  Ron had a VERY large bass miss his frog.  A number of the shallow-water bass were exceptionally skinny but those from deeper water were all “normal”.

Lake is over a foot low and water clarity is good (2 feet visibility). Clumpy vegetation (no mats) and the entire lake is fishable except a very small shallow area at the north end.

An enjoyable morning at a reliable lake.

Jul 17 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great report. Very imformative in helping us understand what the lake looks like, bass condition, and harvest size bass (culls) vs those over 14”. I truly appreciate the information. Based on this report and a few earlier, we WILL continue to harvest. We had actually reached our goal for the year in late June. But, I raised the cull amount from 250 to 400 for this year. Keep culling and lets push these fish to bigger fish by utilizing the forage (bluegill and red ear sunfish) for fewer bass. This lake responded well to culling and we grew some giants in 2016-2019. We didn’t cull as many in 2017-2020 and we didn’t grow as many big bass. Lets harvest hard for the next two years and see if we can get back to the glory days.