Jul 18 2022

Sandy Harris

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33252
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 07/16/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 17 returned up to 3 lbs. / 10 below slot removed
Lures Used : Chug Bug Topwater (Baby Bass & Perch), Texas Rigged Black and Chartreuse Tail Lizard

I took my nephew out to Hickory Creek last Saturday. We arrived at the lake at 6:00 am in hopes of beating the heat. We went from the launch straight to the southeast corner of the lake. We started casting chug bugs over the point and immediately started getting hammered. I put the spot lock on and we hardly moved for about 2 hours. We caught 20 and missed probably another 10 strikes. Well, I say miss, many of the fish were hitting so hard that they would miss the bait entirely and launch themselves in the air a foot or more out of the water (Topwater Torpedoes...LOL). My nephew (15) had a blast! It was a very fun morning for sure. After the heat from the sun hit around 8:00 am it was like you flipped a switch and the topwater bite was over. We started using Texas rigged lizards and picked up another 7 with around 5 or 6 missed hook sets. Most of the ones we caught on lizards were on the secondary moss line toward the middle of the lake. We packed up at 10:00 am and called it a day, not too bad for a 4-hour trip. Yet another wonderful day on Hickory Creek.