Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33471
Property Name : Twin Lakes
Reservation Date : 08/13/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 7 up to 3lbs 14ozs
Lures Used : Magdraft/sqbill/trig

I realized I hadn’t fished this lake which is near my place in Athens and had heard some good things, so I booked it for what was supposed to be an early morning trip so I could work on the lake that afternoon.  As life would have it, my wife decided to bring home/adopt a new dog and I’m the one who gets to train her (the dog) so that killed my morning. 

1. Arrived at 10:30ish and fished till 2:30. Met with the ranch hand who indicated the east lake was in use, so to the west lake it was. 
  2. Water was warm, wind was fairly strong and from variable directions, and the lake was stirred up from the recent hard rain/wind that had hit the area a few days before.  There was alot of coontail, little bit of widgeon, and other assorted plants that were broken up and spread through the lake (as opposed to floating mats etc) – I anticipate this will settle in the next few days. 
  3. Lake is down about 3-4 ft, which is typical of almost every lake this year. 
  4. Normally with a shallower weedy lake, I’d pick some type of search bait I can safely run atop the weeds, but with the stirred up water, it made this difficult. 
  5. I didn’t have many paddle tails – really only had the magdraft 6”, so I used that which caught all my fish but one. 
  6. I tried a fluke, curly tail, senko, but fish would only respond to sharp erratic movements/reaction type presentations.  I had several followers on multple instances, but couldn’t get them to react with those setups.  
  7. Ended with 7, and lost one on a sqbill by the boat, slightly below 2 per hour.  If I had some smaller paddle tails, a speedworm, I think I could have done much better or when the lake settles and I can get a predictable spread in the water column to run something over the weeds without fouling. 
  8. Thank you to the ranch hand for the directions and to the property owner for letting us fish here! I’ll be back as this lake when I have more time to dedictate as the circle of Athens area lakes. 

Aug 24 2022

Greg Wadley

Fry

Number of Posts :

I’ll be there Saturday with my 5” Reaction Innovation paddle tails in Houdini and Bullfrog. Hopefully they hammer that. I fished east lake couple months ago and caugh 4 4lbers on 4 straight casts. Kind of a slow day outside of those casts, but I know where that honey hole is now. 

Aug 24 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Greg Wadley

I’ll be there Saturday with my 5” Reaction Innovation paddle tails in Houdini and Bullfrog. Hopefully they hammer that. I fished east lake couple months ago and caugh 4 4lbers on 4 straight casts. Kind of a slow day outside of those casts, but I know where that honey hole is now. 

I could see the fish being really shallow with the 6”+ of rain the area got recently.  Have a great trip!