John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33699
Property Name : BlackJack Ranch
Reservation Date : 09/03/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 46 caught up to 3#; 15 harvested
Lures Used : fluke, hollow-body frog, dropshot

BlackJack Ranch received over 4 inches of rain between Monday afternoon and Friday night and the rising lake level improved the fishing IMHO. The shallow northern end was much more accessible via boat and throughout the lake much of the vegetation that had started to mat over at the surface now had several inches of water over it.  The extra few inches meant that a fluke, buzzbait, or frog could effectively be worked over and through the vegetation. Ron Dupree and I enjoyed a fun trip catching 46 bass, most using flukes and hollow-body frogs.  Ron caught a few small ones using a dropshot in about 10 feet of water beyond the weed growth which generally stopped in about 8 feet of water.  Overall, Ron enjoyed a higher hookup and landing ratio using a fluke than I did using a frog (no real surprise there) but we both missed/lost quite a few fish.  Not a lot of size today with the largest at about 3 # , a number of 2 pounders, and 15 harvested.  We again landed a handful of skinny bass but not a many as earlier this summer.  We were pleasantly surprised that we did so well considering that there wasn’t a breath of a breeze until after 11AM and this usually doesn’t bode well for the bite.

Sometime this week the warped boards on the pier were renailed down making the surface much flatter and greatly reducing the tripping hazard.  Thank you!

Sep 05 2022

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

John. Good to hear that Blackjack received some good rain. Last week the local San Antonio news stations were reporting that several storms basically parked over Bandera and I am hoping that Gallent Elms, Hill Country Tanch, and Dog Leg Ranch filled-up. Not sure if these storms hit Leinweber, Escondido, or the other property on that ranch. 

Any reports about Heartland Ranch?

Bill

Sep 06 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By William Fetech

John. Good to hear that Blackjack received some good rain. Last week the local San Antonio news stations were reporting that several storms basically parked over Bandera and I am hoping that Gallent Elms, Hill Country Tanch, and Dog Leg Ranch filled-up. Not sure if these storms hit Leinweber, Escondido, or the other property on that ranch. 

Any reports about Heartland Ranch?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Heartbrand will have an electrofish survey done in the next 60 days. We will know more then. 

Dunley and Encino close on September 10th  for hunting season and will reopen Feb 1st.

I just spoke to the ranch manager of Dogleg, they have not got much rain and have taken the opportunity to dredge ½ of the lake and build a concrete ramp. The lake is currently about 5-6 acres of water. 

I have message into the owner at Tarpley and Medina to see about lake levels. Medina will close down for hunting Nov 1st

So, it looks like Tarpley, Lago Escodido and Kyle  are your best bets for awhile. 

Steve

Sep 08 2022

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Hi Bill,

Heartbrand will have an electrofish survey done in the next 60 days. We will know more then. 

Dunley and Encino close on September 10th  for hunting season and will reopen Feb 1st.

I just spoke to the ranch manager of Dogleg, they have not got much rain and have taken the opportunity to dredge ½ of the lake and build a concrete ramp. The lake is currently about 5-6 acres of water. 

I have message into the owner at Tarpley and Medina to see about lake levels. Medina will close down for hunting Nov 1st

So, it looks like Tarpley, Lago Escodido and Kyle  are your best bets for awhile. 

Steve

Thanks

Sep 10 2022

William Fetech

Toad

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By William Fetech

Thanks

How long will Dog Leg be unavailable?

Bill