TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33701
Property Name : Pecan Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 09/03/2022 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6 dinks
Lures Used : Spinnerbait, Plastic swim baits, Wacky worm, Trig, Frog

Pecan Springs is not the same. Water level is way down and the fishing has never been worse. Wish I would have taken a picture of the grass that has grown throughout the entire lake. It made the fishing frustrating for both the trolling motor and bait retrieval bogging down with grass. There was no weedline to work. Maybe also the heat and no winds ran me off after a couple of hours today. Saw a huge carp making a spectacular top water splash like a dolphin for about 30 seconds near me. Startled the heck out of me initially if anyone has ever witnessed this. Wonder why the huge carps are not doing their job of ridding the grass growth? Just putting this out for rhe next. Anyways, I hope rains are coming soon!

Sep 04 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Sorry to hear you caught PSR on an off day. Couple of notes from a lake manager’s perspective for people who are curious:

1. Triploid grass carp do a great job the first few years of their lives in eating grass, but one they get big, they expend very little energy and don’t consume near the same amount of grass (i.e. they become useless) – they are fun to scare as you noted (my daughter and I had the same experience at Post Oak last year with accompanying heart attacks). 
  2. When water levels get low, hot, and there is a high amount of vegetation present + cloudy/rainy days more often than sunny days, it starts to deplete the oxygen levels as the lake vegetation and phytoplankton is using oxygen rather than making it from photosynthesis – some of the lakes will get partial kills (and some have already). 
  3. With the depleted oxygen, treating weeds becomes a no go as the decomposing weeds will further deplete oxygen.
  4. Once the temps cool, the lake will bounce back or the weather stabilizes.  

Late summer is a mixed bag for me generally in terms of bass fishing anyways – the fish are spread out, the water is still warm, the bass are used to stable patterns but things are changing etc etc.  I try to stick to lakes with deeper water and larger wind fields.  

At least we are close to my favorite time of the year to fish – the fall feed!

Sep 06 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Sorry to hear you caught PSR on an off day. Couple of notes from a lake manager’s perspective for people who are curious:

1. Triploid grass carp do a great job the first few years of their lives in eating grass, but one they get big, they expend very little energy and don’t consume near the same amount of grass (i.e. they become useless) – they are fun to scare as you noted (my daughter and I had the same experience at Post Oak last year with accompanying heart attacks). 
  2. When water levels get low, hot, and there is a high amount of vegetation present + cloudy/rainy days more often than sunny days, it starts to deplete the oxygen levels as the lake vegetation and phytoplankton is using oxygen rather than making it from photosynthesis – some of the lakes will get partial kills (and some have already). 
  3. With the depleted oxygen, treating weeds becomes a no go as the decomposing weeds will further deplete oxygen.
  4. Once the temps cool, the lake will bounce back or the weather stabilizes.  

Late summer is a mixed bag for me generally in terms of bass fishing anyways – the fish are spread out, the water is still warm, the bass are used to stable patterns but things are changing etc etc.  I try to stick to lakes with deeper water and larger wind fields.  

At least we are close to my favorite time of the year to fish – the fall feed!

Thanks Joshua for helping respond. All that Joshua posted is accurate.

We have also had a report or two that otters are present. The owner is aware and is now trapping for them. As soon as the lake returns to normal poot (and it may have in the past 4 days) you will see much of the grass issues reduced significantly.

Tri, you are likely one of the best fisherman in the club, but sometimes fishing is just slow. You have a lot more spectacular days than poor days. It will be your day next time. I know its frustrating when the fish and conditions don’t cooperate. 

Sep 06 2022

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Sometimes mental distractions can be an enemy as well (your battle with the grass). For me if I let 20-25MPH winds get to me i WILL not have a good day. I try to settle down and work with it (dang sure not against it). I will then usually make something of it and have had a good day of windy fishing. You could also get a 6-8 foot push pole to help with grass navigation. Mine has been handy at times. At Brair Branch I had a wiring issue on my trolling motor (20mph wind) and ended up in a bunch of grass. When I got the wiring resolved (didn’t realize har far I was pushed in the grass until I looked up) I pushed myself into clearer water.

Sep 06 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thank you gentlemen for the input. It was sad to see one of my favorite properties since joining to have become this way when I first fished it Oct 2020. Generally the water clarity is really clear at Pecan Springs but it was quite the opposite. It was rather turbid therefore reflecting excess algae or sedimentation indicating poor water quality. The poor water quality translates to decrease in oxygen levels. Initially, I thought the pond was spring fed so it was a shock to see it this way. I’m pretty sure PWF will get it back to its normal way!

Joshua- I would have never thought Pecan Springs would ever get this way considering how clear and deep this pond is compared to others similar in size.

Steve- It won’t be my last at Pecan Springs but I hate to see it this way.

John- Loved the creative use of the 6-8’ pole for maneuvering! I was using the oar to move around when the trolling motor couldn’t. I love using frogs and jigs to get through grass. Only thing is there was no clear water as the whole pond was affected by the sedimentation and growth.

Sep 06 2022

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

Thank you gentlemen for the input. It was sad to see one of my favorite properties since joining to have become this way when I first fished it Oct 2020. Generally the water clarity is really clear at Pecan Springs but it was quite the opposite. It was rather turbid therefore reflecting excess algae or sedimentation indicating poor water quality. The poor water quality translates to decrease in oxygen levels. Initially, I thought the pond was spring fed so it was a shock to see it this way. I’m pretty sure PWF will get it back to its normal way!

Joshua- I would have never thought Pecan Springs would ever get this way considering how clear and deep this pond is compared to others similar in size.

Steve- It won’t be my last at Pecan Springs but I hate to see it this way.

John- Loved the creative use of the 6-8’ pole for maneuvering! I was using the oar to move around when the trolling motor couldn’t. I love using frogs and jigs to get through grass. Only thing is there was no clear water as the whole pond was affected by the sedimentation and growth.

TRI VO

I carry a kayak paddle in my 14 foot fiberglass jon boat. Works well when not too windy and gets me in and out of weeds. Breaks down into two pieces.

Sep 07 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Carpenter

TRI VO

I carry a kayak paddle in my 14 foot fiberglass jon boat. Works well when not too windy and gets me in and out of weeds. Breaks down into two pieces.

Steve, I think that’s a pretty cool idea too! Never thought about using a kayak paddle vs a regular paddle or oar. The length on a kayak paddle should be longer making it more versatile.

I will have to wait for Pecan Springs to get back to normal. Its current state is unfishable in my opinion. Hoping to get back out there early next year!

Sep 07 2022

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

Steve, I think that’s a pretty cool idea too! Never thought about using a kayak paddle vs a regular paddle or oar. The length on a kayak paddle should be longer making it more versatile.

I will have to wait for Pecan Springs to get back to normal. Its current state is unfishable in my opinion. Hoping to get back out there early next year!

Hate to hear its in such a condition. Fished there often when I first joined the club. Lots of fish and usually at least one nice one. Beautiful property,nice dock and easy to alaunch at normal levels. Hve also seen those hugh carp