Sep 10 2022

Lane Blundell

Fry

Number of Posts :

Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch
Reservation Date : 09/09/22 
Total Fish/Sizes : 17 caught up to 5#, 6 harvested
Lures Used : fluke, torpedo top water..beetle spins

Needed to get out of the house so had a quick visit to Hickory Creek.  Fished from 7:30 to 10:30 in the big lake.  Calm winds, 2 feet visibility, sunny skies.   Caught first and biggest fish (just under 5#, see pic) with top water torpedo.  Caught 3 more with torpedo and missed 2 more, all near the dam.  Switched to white and green soft flukes and caught around 10 from 1- 3 lbs.   Caught 2 near the island and several along bank opposite of pier.   In shallow end caught several colorful bluegill mostly on beetle spins.  Lots of fun for 3 hours.  Great property and very pretty.

Decided to check the back lake as when HCR first opened I did very well back there including a 7 pounder.   Road to back lake is very overgrown, not easy to see.  Lake is down a couple of feet, very overgrown with lots of moss/algae in the water.   Hard to bank fish but threw a couple casts in and came back with lots of weeds.   Jon boat overgrown with grass.  There may be fish in there but my last couple of visits were not good.  Fished out??

For you trivia buffs, old Betsy was the name of Davy Crockett’s flintlock!

Sep 10 2022

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Went about a couple of month ago to the back lake and tried from kayak. My brother caught one over 4 lbs but that was only fish caught. Tons of snot grass and weeds were thick. I got one hit but no takers and fishing was terrible there when the front lake was doingvwell. Just thought we would try it but will not do that again anytime soon. Front lake has been doing well lately.