Stephen Hardison

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33855
Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake
Reservation Date : 09/18/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 20
Lures Used : Square Bill and XD5 Crankbait

I have fished this lake 13 times now and really dont go anywhere else. I get less excited to go the older i get because it is a drive out there and super rough getting into it. Got on the water at 8:00 am in my Twin Troller and the lake was 3 foot low but the clearest I have ever seen this water. Normally well stained to near muddy, but I would go as far to say their was 18 inches of visibility right now,  I always catch fish on dark plastics; but I took my youngest son and wanted him to get a different experience so I tied on a Berkely Squrebull 5.5 in a shad colored pattern and the bass loved it. I wasnt catching any on my creature bait so I pulled out my Strike King XD5 in a sexy shad pattern and caught a few on the east rocks nearer the bank. Wind kicked up and pushed us around and we caught a few, but around 11:00 am when my kid was taking a break I took his sqare bill and pulled 4 fish off a rock point with submeged rocks barley sticking out of the water. My son got excited so i gave him the square bill back and went back to the xd5. Pulled 4 more fish off that point and some other rockpiles nearby. Lost a good one near the boat that I couldnt get close to the surface to see but from the fight it put on it likely was 5+. Once we wore that area out, we went back to the east rock ledge and just sat out 20 yards from the bank cranking the deep ledge. We both pulled in several more fish from deeper water including a 3 lb, 5.5 lb and a 6+ i couldnt get a hand on at boat ledge. We both nicked up our floro bumping the crankbaits on the rocks and then lost our crankbaints. Called it a day at that point at about 2:00 pm.  Ended up with 20 fish on the day with most of the other fish were all 12-16 inchers. Son outfished me on the day and had a great experience ripping the squre bill. Certainly a change of pace versus fishing plastics so provided tons of fun for us both and a new technique to appreciate.

Sep 20 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

This is certainly one of the most unique lakes in the club. Like you, we have a handful of members who only fish here and another place or two, including a couple of the Googan Squad guys. The ruggedness, remoteness and beauty bring members back. The water is almost always very muddy from the tens of thousands of common carp. Glad you like this place. It sees very few reservations. 

Jan 18 2023

Samuel Mitchell

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I am going for the first time next week to this lake.  Are those rock pilesa you mentioned marked…and if not, are you open to sharing the location?  Thanks. 

Jan 21 2023

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Nice report!  So how rough is the trail out to the lake?  I have a Wrangler but not sure if my kayak trailer can take a beating. 

Feb 06 2023

Stephen Hardison

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Samuel Mitchell

I am going for the first time next week to this lake.  Are those rock pilesa you mentioned marked…and if not, are you open to sharing the location?  Thanks. 

Sorry just seeing this. Nothing marked but their are rocks all over the lake. Since this is late you understand what I am talking about. Hope your trip was succesful.

Feb 06 2023

Stephen Hardison

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mike Nicoloff

Nice report!  So how rough is the trail out to the lake?  I have a Wrangler but not sure if my kayak trailer can take a beating. 

Sorry just seeing this. The trail is rough. You will have to drive about 2 mph in the worse stretch for about 300 yards. I take my 11 foot boat in on a trailer, but get it in OK. Im always worried about cutting down a tire so be sure to have spare and throw in 2 cans of fix-a-flat jsut in case.