Doug Johnson

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33891
Property Name : Hill Country Ranch
Reservation Date : 09/24/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 5
Lures Used : Flay Rod

Fished this lake on Saturday.  Had not fished it for awhile.  Water is about 10-12 feet low.  Imagine 10 feet of water over 28 acres.  No wonder the recent rains have not made a dent in most of the local lakes.  Decided to only Fly Fish this go around.  Started out with Chartreuse and White Clouserw and caught 3 but all under 14 inches.  Switched to a Black Wooly Bugger and got a couple of hits but failed to close the deal.  Went back to the /Clouser and picked up a couple more dinks.  Was heading back to the boat ramp and saw something tailing in the water in the center of the lake.  Eased up to it and it didn’t realize I was there.  Turned out to be the largest carp I’ve ever seen in my life.  The fish was between 3 and 4 feet long and the girth was phenomenal.  All of a sudden he realized that something was right there with him and with a giant swirl and splash he hightailed it out of there leaving me with a splash in the face.  This is certainly one of the prettiest properties  of those in central Texas with a beautiful pavillion for a lunchspot.  Just couldn’t connect with any larger fish.