Oct 03 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33951
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 10/02/2022 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 23
Lures Used : Crankbaits, Trig 10' worms, swim jigs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, Wacky worm

It was a nice outing at Pecan Gap on 10-2-22. Water was down. See pic of the shallower hump but it is still very fishable with deepest around 15’. Fished from 130-7 pm. Water temp was 77 and clarity was around 1’. On this trip, I think I had more bites on fast moving hard baits than soft plastics. The bigger fish definitely smashed the faster retrieve vs slower presentation. Most of the fish were caught on brush and trees from depths of 5’-12’. A few came off of the grassline in 1’-2’ of water. I ended the day with 23 bass and the largest was 23”. Ok, I think this has been my 4th time here but I have never seen a koi fish until this time…wow. It was huge! Maybe I’m the only one that didn’t know koi fish are in Pecan Gap haha? Thank you owner and PWF!

Oct 03 2022

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Great trip and nice fish. I haven't seen koi but have seen some pretty big talapia. I usually see them over in the shallower area of the channel. 

Oct 03 2022

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I have seen that big Koi twice porposing. It is huge!. A couple weeks ago I seen a large talpia by the boat ream p protecting its nest. It was running all the perch away. Nice job Tri!

Oct 03 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Tri,

I wonder if the Koi was actually a tilapia. We stocked 200 lbs of tilapia in the lake. They are generally gray in color. But on occasion there is a pink, or white one in the group of tilapia. Some of those could be approaching 2 lbs by now. If it was really large like 20lb+ it is likely grass carp that were stocked a few years back.

Steve

Oct 03 2022

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Tri,

I wonder if the Koi was actually a tilapia. We stocked 200 lbs of tilapia in the lake. They are generally gray in color. But on occasion there is a pink, or white one in the group of tilapia. Some of those could be approaching 2 lbs by now. If it was really large like 20lb+ it is likely grass carp that were stocked a few years back.

Steve

The owner said he had two of those from a few years ago and wasn’t sure they were still there he told us last year when we fished the Gap. Me n Scott Wheeler saw it (or one of them). They are huge!

Oct 03 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Freeman

The owner said he had two of those from a few years ago and wasn’t sure they were still there he told us last year when we fished the Gap. Me n Scott Wheeler saw it (or one of them). They are huge!

Thanks gentlemen! I definitely thought it was a Koi fish from the markings on it. Thought it was 2 Koi fish at first sight but turned out to be just 1 large one at closer glimpse. Gotta say at least 26” in length. It sat in the shallow water for a long time until I approached closer. But still didn’t swim off very fast. Nice addition!

Oct 03 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

Thanks gentlemen! I definitely thought it was a Koi fish from the markings on it. Thought it was 2 Koi fish at first sight but turned out to be just 1 large one at closer glimpse. Gotta say at least 26” in length. It sat in the shallow water for a long time until I approached closer. But still didn’t swim off very fast. Nice addition!

Nice work!  Those F1’s he added are growing well and look to be in great shape.

I wonder if he has those feeders running – I’ve never heard them go off while I’ve been there. 

I need to make it out there before it gets cold but have been busy with some big lake projects lately.  

Oct 04 2022

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

I wonder if he has those feeders running – I’ve never heard them go off while I’ve been there. 

I need to make it out there before it gets cold but have been busy with some big lake projects lately.  

Only feeders left is one on the dock. The 3 back ones have been removed. The beavers damaged the Timbers and embankments on those points. 

Oct 04 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Freeman

Only feeders left is one on the dock. The 3 back ones have been removed. The beavers damaged the Timbers and embankments on those points. 

Ah, good to know, damn beavers. 

Oct 04 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Joshua,

John’s right about the feeders. The feeder on the dock went off around 6-630 pm and the fish bombarded the pellets within a minute. I didn’t check to see what fish were eating but yes it was running. Weather was definitely nice!

Oct 04 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

Joshua,

John’s right about the feeders. The feeder on the dock went off around 6-630 pm and the fish bombarded the pellets within a minute. I didn’t check to see what fish were eating but yes it was running. Weather was definitely nice!

Tri,

You are right. There are two Koi in Pecan Gap. These were pictures from 10 years ago of the two koi. The owner thinks there is only one left. The orange one. This one weighed 13 lbs 10 years ago. Likely the white one has been eaten by otters. Koi live about 30 years. So, it might be there awhile.

Oct 07 2022

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Tri,

You are right. There are two Koi in Pecan Gap. These were pictures from 10 years ago of the two koi. The owner thinks there is only one left. The orange one. This one weighed 13 lbs 10 years ago. Likely the white one has been eaten by otters. Koi live about 30 years. So, it might be there awhile.

Steve, that is so cool. I will remember it as the Koi pond, and I will be looking for it everytime I fish there. Thanks for looking that up!