Joe V. Smith

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33991
Property Name : Alysha Ranch
Reservation Date : 10/03/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 30 11" to 2.25 lbs
Lures Used : worms,flukes and wacky

Fished Alysha Monday morning with another member.Shortly after our arrival he observed three otters at the spillway and dam area.Based on the poor results of ths one short trip the otters have devastated the fishery.Since 2013 I have been going to Alysha six or more times per year and it always produced a majorty of fish between 2.25 lbs and 3.25 lbs . A few over 3.5 lbs up to the Ilargest we have caught there of 5.25 lbs. It does not produce huge bass but a lot of great catching size fish.

This trip we only caught two fish at 2.25 lbs . A total of 30 bass of which only eight were over 14” and not much larger.The lake was only 2ft low and visibility of 12” at thr dock and 18” at the dam.In some lakes this result may be good but it is very poor for Alysha.

The fish hit on flukes,wacky and tx rig ,using wat/red ,wat/seed , brused bananna and pumpkin chrt.

Oct 04 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Still confused why people thought it was a good idea to restore otter populations in the U.S. and now finding good trappers is really tough. 

Oct 05 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Still confused why people thought it was a good idea to restore otter populations in the U.S. and now finding good trappers is really tough. 

Joe thanks for the report. I know you fish here a lot. We have notified the owner and he is on it. Going to get them with a thermal gun at night. 

Oct 06 2022

Joe V. Smith

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Joe thanks for the report. I know you fish here a lot. We have notified the owner and he is on it. Going to get them with a thermal gun at night. 

I never heard of a thermal gun but it sounds very impressive. I am glad he is not waiting for someone else to take care of the otter problem. I would have used a varmet rifle but a therman gun at night sounds great !!

Oct 06 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joe V. Smith

I never heard of a thermal gun but it sounds very impressive. I am glad he is not waiting for someone else to take care of the otter problem. I would have used a varmet rifle but a therman gun at night sounds great !!

The thermal I’m referring to is the scope used on the end of a rifle. Loads of fun!

Oct 07 2022

Dale Pybus

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

The thermal I’m referring to is the scope used on the end of a rifle. Loads of fun!

Not trying to hijack the thread but otters have found a home at Fairfield too. Could be a problem.