Fine Winter Day at a Fine Property! Post Oak: 12-5-22

Dec 06 2022

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34463
Property Name : Post Oak Lake
Reservation Date : 12/05/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 40 bass (an 18' and three in between 19 - 19.5" and 2 crappie
Lures Used : Lipless cranks, wacky finesse worm, topwater

Fellow member John Shepard and I arrived at this fine property under overcast skies and calm water conditions. We started by walking the bank for the first hour throwing topwater with some success. After circling the tank we decided to rig up the onsite boat and head out to the exposed tree stumps.

John had the hot hand early while anchored throwing a lipless crank at the stumps and a pop-r at the the bank, landing a 19” on the cb and the largest bass of the day (a 19.5”) with the topwater around 10AM. I couldn’t by a bite until I started throwing a lightly weighted wacky fitness worm on a spinning rig.

Around 11AM we moved up the bank towards the bridge as the south wind picked up with limited success along the bank and no action at the bridge. Moved over the the brush pile and immediately had action catching both bass and crappie on lipless cranks and the wacky finesse set up.

Took a short break to pick up a heavier anchor and pause for a quick sandwich around noon, as the wind really picked up and the skies becan to clear, before heading west to try the small extension of the tank beyond the bridge. We found a few bites by the creek mouth and adjacent bank and I finally caught my 1st non cull of the day (19.25”) on the wacky finesse rig. We also had some success at the submerged brush pile near the waterfall.

Moved back out to the main tank and headed back to brush pile and found them biting till ~3PM. John caught an 18’ bass this go round. We spent the next hour trying the stumps and the dam with limited bites before calling it a day at 4PM.

By the end of the day we had each caught an equal number of fish but almost all of mine were culls (fingerlings to 12”).

We saw carpzilla several time during the day…quite a site!

Tank level is down about 4ft. Water was clear with up to 4-5ft visibility before the wind kicked in. Encountered submerged grass rimming the tank but no real issues other than cleaning it off the anchors when moving location.

One note for those fishing on foot…the first fish feeder platform is in pretty rough shape and two of the support posts are broken (see photo). Probably not safe to stand on.

FYI - for those driving back to Houston looking for a quick bite I highly recommend that your give Joe’s Italian Grill a try. It on the way home just off 290 in Hempstead.

Dec 07 2022

Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Bob,

I always enjoy reading your reports.  Entertaining with a lot of detail.  Funny you mention carpzilla – we saw him for the first time last time we were there.  I could have sworn there were two of them, and that they were at least as big as a pretty good sized child.  They were jumping and thrashing around us, and we were tube fishing, so it was maybe a little too exciting.  Curious about the submerged brushpile near the waterfall.  Is it marked or do you use electronics to find it?  Are you talking about the spillway on the dam when you say the “waterfall”?

Bryan

Dec 07 2022

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Bryan Buchan

Bob,

I always enjoy reading your reports.  Entertaining with a lot of detail.  Funny you mention carpzilla – we saw him for the first time last time we were there.  I could have sworn there were two of them, and that they were at least as big as a pretty good sized child.  They were jumping and thrashing around us, and we were tube fishing, so it was maybe a little too exciting.  Curious about the submerged brushpile near the waterfall.  Is it marked or do you use electronics to find it?  Are you talking about the spillway on the dam when you say the “waterfall”?

Bryan

Bryan

Yes I think that there are a couple of them in this tank. John had one swim just in front of him while casting from the spillway first thing in the morning while the water was calm. He guessed it was close to 3ft long! Then we ran into another big one lazily breaching the surface by the south bank several times once the sun came out in the early afternoon.

As far as the brush piles go they aren't marked but you can find them with a treble hook set up (LOL) or electronics. They aren't as well defined as they were back when I first started fishing this tank in 2016. The one in the main tank is just off the bank in the cove directly in front of the main ranch house. The one in the smaller Extention is just south of the stone waterfall directly out from a pipeline  on the westernmost bank. You can see this latter brush pile on some of the goggle earth images when they were enlarging the tank!

Lets try to meet up for a day of fishing next year! 
Have a great holiday season!

Bob

Dec 08 2022

Bryan Buchan

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Bob Scheidemann

Bryan

Yes I think that there are a couple of them in this tank. John had one swim just in front of him while casting from the spillway first thing in the morning while the water was calm. He guessed it was close to 3ft long! Then we ran into another big one lazily breaching the surface by the south bank several times once the sun came out in the early afternoon.

As far as the brush piles go they aren't marked but you can find them with a treble hook set up (LOL) or electronics. They aren't as well defined as they were back when I first started fishing this tank in 2016. The one in the main tank is just off the bank in the cove directly in front of the main ranch house. The one in the smaller Extention is just south of the stone waterfall directly out from a pipeline  on the westernmost bank. You can see this latter brush pile on some of the goggle earth images when they were enlarging the tank!

Lets try to meet up for a day of fishing next year! 
Have a great holiday season!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for all the great information.  You have a great holiday season also, and for sure let’s get together on a trip next year.

Bryan