Bite Was On At K Bar Ranch: 12-12-22

Dec 13 2022

Bob Scheidemann

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Decided to make a quick trip to try out K Bar to enjoy a last bit of warm weather before an expected cold front arrives bringing a sustained chill to this part of Texas till Christmas.

Based on previous reports I don’t know if I was lucky or just dialed in but I had a blast walking the bank on Lake Raymond and Golden Pond (pretty much split my time on these two all day). I even caught a few bass on Lake TD. To loosely quote Yogi Berra … “I caught an even 51 bass” and had a few get unbuttoned as well!

Most of the bass ranged I size from dinks to 14” but I also caught a dozen 16-19” between LR & GP.

Arrived at the ranch just after sunrise under heavy overcast skies and a stiff southeast wind that got stronger throughout the day. Started on Lake Raymond targeting in, around and near all of the stickups and quickly found a pattern that would hold up for the remainder of the day… lipless crankbaits (blue silver as well as crawfish red), and a 1/4 oz silver Johnson Splinter casting spoon (ripped off the bottom in the open stretches of the tanks between the dead trees). I also tried throwing a couple of different spinnerbait set ups, as well as cranks, which no success. A fluke also got an occasional bite and at the end of the day a bone colored Yellow Magic generated a nice topwater bite. Contrary to the previous fishing reports, the wacky senkos and worms offerings were just toyed with (I’m guessing dinks pulling one end of the plastics and then letting go).

During the mid morning Raymond (one of the senior ranch hands who lives on the ranch) came by to say hello and see how I was faring. He offered a few tips on the property and his suggestions were dead on! We had such a good time chewing the fat that I invited him to join me when he got done with his day. We fished the last hour of daylight together and had a couple of double ups (see pic)! I asked him to thank the owner for letting us fish this ranch and wished him a Merry Christmas before heading out to fight the traffic back to west Houston.

Here are some other random notes: 1) the two boats on the property are currently located on the road between LR and GP. You are going to need two people to get it in the water on LR and don’t know how you would launch it on GP; 2) this is the first property that I have ever encountered mosquitoes. These mothers are as large as the ones I encountered while doing field work on the North Slope of Alaska. I recommend full clothing coverage and bring some bug spray; 3) as near as I could tell there only appears to be one spot (in the SE corner) on GP to launch a small Jon boat or kayak, the west bank of LR appears to offer several places to launch if the ground is dry, and from what I could see maybe a few locations on TD may afford a similar opportunity!

Finally, I can’t wait to get back here with my small kayak to try some big 1 oz flutter spoons in the middle of LR or GP. According to Raymond some big 6 to 7lbers have been caught using this technique in both of these deep quarry tanks.

Happy Holidays to all of the PWF members, Ranch Owners and a special thanks to Steve, Keri, Scott & Cole for another great year!

Bob

Dec 14 2022

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great report Bob, glad you and Raymond got on em out there!  Happy Holidays to you and your family as well, looking forward to more great fishing in 2023!