Hickory Creek 12/18/2022

Dec 20 2022

Jason Owens

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34552
Property Name : Hickory Creek Ranch Lakes
Reservation Date : 12/18/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 18 bass up to 4.75 lbs.
Lures Used : Crankbaits, swimbait

My son and I fished Hickory Creek lake on Sunday 12/18.  We were on the water a little before 8 and fished until about 3:30pm.  It was about 30 degrees air temp when we got there in the morning but it warmed up to about 55.  Fished out of the club boat, so I don't know what the water temps were.  We knew the fishing would be a little bit tough with the recent cold front and blue skies, but it wasn't too bad.  We caught 18 bass.  All but 3 were over 14”.  Biggest was 4.75 lbs.  Not a single bite in shallow water.  Most of the catches came in the deeper water around the dam and the brush piles.  We also found quite a few in the deeper water outside of that shallow southeast corner.  We had a couple of bites, but didn't land a single fish by the island, or that entire half of the lake for that matter.  Almost everything came on medium diving flat sided crank baits with a couple on 3.75” swim baits.  Only 2 crappie on this trip.  Usually we catch plenty of those.  Either they just weren't biting, or the culling finally got most of them out.

The bite was slower than usual on this trip, but that was understandable with the weather.  All in all it was a pretty good day with some solid fish landed.  Thanks to the owner and PWF for access to an awesome lake.

Dec 20 2022

Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Despite the odds that sounds like a fun report and some good lookin’ fish to go along with it!

Dec 21 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Alex Elrod

Despite the odds that sounds like a fun report and some good lookin’ fish to go along with it!

December/January fishing is usually feast for famine. If you find a big fish stay in that exact spot as more are usually right there with her.