Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34729
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 01/16/2023 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 2 LMB, Dinks
Lures Used : Entire Tackle Box

I had the day off work, so was excited to try a new property.  73 degrees in January seemed too good to be true.  Wind was whipping 15mph with some bigger gusts so had to use the anchor all day to keep in place.  With the wind, visibility was a foot or less, but given Bluebonnet is so shallow, not too hard to see.  The grass is still plentiful and given the lower water levels this past summer, I’d think this lake was really tough to try until the fall.

Threw pretty much everything in the tacklebox at them for 3.5 hours without a bite.  T-rig senkos, squarebills, lipless cranks, jerkbaits, swimbait, ned rig, smaller A-rig, jigs, chatterbaits.  Couldn’t entice them with anything.  Saw two fish break the water or swim by all day.  Did see a beaver pop up next to the boat, but didn’t see any signs of them creaitng any other havoc.

With my tail between my legs after getting skunked on Bluebonnet, i decided to throw a few casts on Mesquite on the way out.  Two casts in a row, two dinks, so all was well in the world!

It’’s funny that simply catching two dinks made the day all worth it.  Beautiful ranch with cows and their calves all over the place.  Thanks again PWF for such unique places to fish!

Jan 20 2023

Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I don’t live too far from Bluebonnet so I frequent it throughout the year – such a cool property. I’ve had both glorious (caught an almost 8 pounder here last year) and equally troubling days out there. I think the fish are burying themselves down in that grass when the conditions are too sunny. I also recently had a ton of success (even in these colder temps) with them up shallow – oddly enough. Like really shallow shallow – off to the right in that little arm area of the club boat? The fish that pop up and down all day have frequented me too – especially when I’m in the boat bobbing around. I’m 99% sure they’re the gar? or maybe the grass carp. Either way they’re fun to see pop up. I’ve had gar chase my chatterbaits up to the boat before.

Overall I’ve caught more and bigger fish in ambush zones even thought I’ve read a lot of folks catching their fish in the main body area during the spring and early summer months – it has so far been the opposite for me, but who knows!

I’ve also had a lot more success, ironically enough, at the little Mesquite lake. I even caught a huge hybrid/striped bass there! Was a beast and fought like an 8 pound largemouth.

Either way – a fantastic place to visit and get to fish!

Jan 20 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Alex Elrod

I don’t live too far from Bluebonnet so I frequent it throughout the year – such a cool property. I’ve had both glorious (caught an almost 8 pounder here last year) and equally troubling days out there. I think the fish are burying themselves down in that grass when the conditions are too sunny. I also recently had a ton of success (even in these colder temps) with them up shallow – oddly enough. Like really shallow shallow – off to the right in that little arm area of the club boat? The fish that pop up and down all day have frequented me too – especially when I’m in the boat bobbing around. I’m 99% sure they’re the gar? or maybe the grass carp. Either way they’re fun to see pop up. I’ve had gar chase my chatterbaits up to the boat before.

Overall I’ve caught more and bigger fish in ambush zones even thought I’ve read a lot of folks catching their fish in the main body area during the spring and early summer months – it has so far been the opposite for me, but who knows!

I’ve also had a lot more success, ironically enough, at the little Mesquite lake. I even caught a huge hybrid/striped bass there! Was a beast and fought like an 8 pound largemouth.

Either way – a fantastic place to visit and get to fish!

Alex – Thanks for the insider knowledge at Bluebonnet. I look forward to giving it another shot here soon and will use the above info!