Ben Pierce

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34937
Property Name : Shady Grove
Reservation Date : 01/29/2023 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 45
Lures Used : Swim bait/ top water frog

Weather was supposed to 60 degrees and low wind. Over night it turned and weather was 20mph winds 35 degrees but it did not stop the bite. Couldn't only fish certain ponds due to weather but we were able to catch 45+ fish in 4 hours until it got too cold to keep fishing. The were biting so good on swim baits I pulled out a frog lure and ended up catching 7 on top water and missed over 10+ on blowups.. absolutely crazy due to weather and time of year! I will be back 

also all the fish has a strong yellow tint to them. Never seen that before? Maybe it was due to clear shallow water 

Jan 31 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work!  

I’ve always wanted to get out there to fish the lakes before they get weeded up in the summer.  

As for the yellow tint – there are generally two things – one, some genetic strains (the Camelot Bell/Lonestar Legacy line) tend to be more yellow and they often have little blue spots near where the mouth ends by the eye and on the nose.  I don’t think these were stocked with Lonestars – iirc, they just showed up. 

The second and most likely reason is the bass sitting in decaying vegetation/muck – most likely given the lakes have a fair amount of weeds later in the year.  

Some say the iodine in crawfish, but crawfish aren’t particularly active this time of year and it would need to be a ton of crawfish. 

My two cents – 45 fish in January is spectacular. 

Jan 31 2023

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Nice work!  

I’ve always wanted to get out there to fish the lakes before they get weeded up in the summer.  

As for the yellow tint – there are generally two things – one, some genetic strains (the Camelot Bell/Lonestar Legacy line) tend to be more yellow and they often have little blue spots near where the mouth ends by the eye and on the nose.  I don’t think these were stocked with Lonestars – iirc, they just showed up. 

The second and most likely reason is the bass sitting in decaying vegetation/muck – most likely given the lakes have a fair amount of weeds later in the year.  

Some say the iodine in crawfish, but crawfish aren’t particularly active this time of year and it would need to be a ton of crawfish. 

My two cents – 45 fish in January is spectacular. 

I think Joshua nailed it on the color.  Congrats on a super productive day in tough conditions, glad you made the trip out there, it is a very cool fishery!