TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 35222

Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake

Reservation Date : 02/27/2023 PM -

Total Fish/Sizes : 18

Lures Used : Spinnerbait, Crankbait, Chatterbait, Rattletrap

Decided to make the venture out to the Backside of the Moon by myself. This is one of my favorites. I fished from just after 1 pm until 6 pm. The weather was nice and a little breezy. I managed to drive out on the rough terrain trail pretty easy, but it helped to have a truck with good ground clearance and turning radius. I wonder if anyone ever tried to come out with a car?? The property jon boat was the same, however it looks like the transom was re-done. Had to kick a field mouse out of the boat. Pretty sure it wasn't the same mouse I saw a couple years back ha-ha. The water level was down like 4', and the water clarity was poor like less than 1'. These are the times when loud flashy or vibrating lures with bright colors worked for me. I started trying the south end on both sides at first with little success. I was using the south wind to drift up along the banks about 20 yards out. More success came from the middle to north end. The fish were shallow from 2-4' along the rocks, brush, and deeper edges. I was mostly targeting pre-spawners over gravel, rocks, and brush. There were medium size bait fish or shad popping in the water. Whenever I heard or saw the shad breaking surface, I would zone in those areas. I ended up with 18 bass up to 6 pounds or so. Most were 3-4# chunks. They were all super healthy and feisty. The boat still has a small leak but I didn't have to bail water the 5 hours I fished. Thank you owner and PWF!

Feb 28 2023

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Dude you’re a fish-cathing machine and not afraid of an adventure either. Love that! Thanks for the report Tri.

Mark

Feb 28 2023

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Nice job Tri. Healthy looking fish.I am thinking of going out there March 7. I have always wanting to go to that lake. In your opinion will a Hyundai Sante Fe with small trailer make it. I know it says rough. I have more clearance than a car but not as much like an Explorer. I did make the mudbath Toby Lake back in October and that was a challenge. I led 5 4WD trucks to the lake,lol, with only 2 wheel front drive. I think I can make it, more scratches won’t bother me at all.

Feb 28 2023

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Way to get on them!  Congrats on a nice evening of fishing.

Mar 01 2023

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Congratulations. Certainly one of the best sticks in the club!

Mar 01 2023

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Mark Daugherty

Dude you’re a fish-cathing machine and not afraid of an adventure either. Love that! Thanks for the report Tri.

Mark

Mark, David, and Steve:

Thank you for the kind words. Everyone should try this property once if they feel adventurous. It’s definitely different than the others but it could be very rewarding.

Mar 01 2023

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Freeman

Nice job Tri. Healthy looking fish.I am thinking of going out there March 7. I have always wanting to go to that lake. In your opinion will a Hyundai Sante Fe with small trailer make it. I know it says rough. I have more clearance than a car but not as much like an Explorer. I did make the mudbath Toby Lake back in October and that was a challenge. I led 5 4WD trucks to the lake,lol, with only 2 wheel front drive. I think I can make it, more scratches won’t bother me at all.

John, I don’t think you would have a problem in the Santa Fe with the small trailer. Especially if you don’t care about scratches. Make sure to have a spare tire. You will have a mixture of dirt and rock trails. The main concern is bottoming out on the rock trails. We had towed a trailer a couple of times previously using a Sequoia & a Land Rover. A 15’ jon boat and a 16’ fiberglass boat were towed, respectively. I think SUV’s have an advantage if you are towing a longer boat with it’s short wheelbase and turning radius. I agree with the post about not pulling a boat longer than 17’. Some of the turns on the wooded rocky trails are very tight. Have a great trip!