Mar 06 2023

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 35154
Property Name : Kickapoo Lake
Reservation Date : 03/04/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 36 bass from 13'' to 4.5 lbs & 1 big crappie
Lures Used : Most effective were: lipless, drop shot, Senko, ball head w/ paddletail, & underspin

My wife and I fished Kickapoo on Saturday, Mar 4th and I wanted to say that the lake is in great condition and it’s a good time to get out there. The lake is completely full and the vegetation is greening up but is very manageable at this time making the lake fish to its full potential. We found the bass to be cooperative, but not going gangbusters. The water was 60 to 62F with viz to 4FT – the outside temps were 45 to 74F and winds were out of the SSE only around 8 or 9MPH.

I felt like about half the fish were moving up to the shallows and the other half hanging around the 7 to 9 ft depths on the contours. We had a productive day from about 7AM to noon and then it slowed quite considerably. We landed 36 bass from 13’’ to 4.5 lbs and 1 big crappie. We harvested 14 bass and returned 22 – a good number of those returned were 1.75 to 2.0 lbs, with a handfull between 2 and 3 lbs and one at 3.5 and one at 4.5. The better fish came on a red lipless, yo-yo’d off the bottom in 7 to 9FOW – other effective techniques were weightless Senkos tossed right up to the bank around the water plants and emerging pads. Other scattered fish were picked off using a 3.8 paddletail on either a ball head jig or an underspin. Other than on the lipless, the bite was subtle. I think they are close to really start chasing. 

We sure enjoyed the reel solitude at Kickapoo and the fishing good too!

Mar 06 2023

Alex Elrod

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Sounds like a fun day out there, Mark! One of my absolute favorite properties in the club.

I imagine we’re just a couple weeks out from them moving up to those slightly shallower areas for prespawn/spawn movements. I’ve had a ton of success at the dam in those conditions as well. Some feisty fish lurking in that water!

Mar 06 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work y’all.  Fun lake, under rated IMO, easy to access and solid grass lines once April rolls around – The way the lake is laid out, you can find fish by working it methodically. 

Mar 06 2023

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

This is another great example of how harvesting small bass makes a difference in our lakes. In 2011 the lake was full of 8-12” bass. If you caught 100 bass only one would be over 12”. Today it is so much different. Members thanks for harvesting the small bass. It is a group (club) effort. You have changed the dynamics in so many lakes, like Crockett Hickory Creek, Decatur Waterboo, and Laneville Hidden Springs to name a few. 

Remember we are NOT harvesting at all lakes, please remember to read requirements at each lake. We spend a lot of time, money and effort on bass harvest and without your help none of this works. Thanks for being awesome. Please keep the harvest up. 

Thanks

Steve