Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 35361
Property Name : Dogwood Lakes Estate: West Lake
Reservation Date : 03/18/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9 LMB; 8 culled, 1 returned
Lures Used : Tailspinner, senko

I fished Henderson, Dogwood Lakes, West Lake, on 03/18, from about 8am to 12:30pm.  I caught 9 LMB, 8 culled, 1 returned at about 18 inches.  Based on recent reports and rainfall, I was expecting the lake to be at full pool with fish moving shallow or in the pads, but I was surprised upon arrival to see the lake at about ½ level. I saw that the lake was in the process of being drained, but I gave the fishing a try anyway and it was not bad, with all fish caught in the narrow creek channel by the bend.  

Mar 20 2023

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the photos of the change in the water level.  I’ll be out there the first week of April and so was concerned that something might be wrong.  I called the office and Cole informed me that the owner is purposefully lowering the lake level to more align with where it used to be managed.  This is being done for the sake of the structural integrity of the dam area.  He said with as high as it’s been maintained in recent years (only 4-5 feet of earth above full level) it put the lake in a position to have a catastrophic failure during a heavy rain event.  I’ve not been in the club long enough to have seen this lake in prior years, so I don’t have anything to compare it to other than what we’ve come to recognize as “full”.  Just thought I’d share the answer I got.

Mar 27 2023

TRI VO

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By David Felton

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the photos of the change in the water level.  I’ll be out there the first week of April and so was concerned that something might be wrong.  I called the office and Cole informed me that the owner is purposefully lowering the lake level to more align with where it used to be managed.  This is being done for the sake of the structural integrity of the dam area.  He said with as high as it’s been maintained in recent years (only 4-5 feet of earth above full level) it put the lake in a position to have a catastrophic failure during a heavy rain event.  I’ve not been in the club long enough to have seen this lake in prior years, so I don’t have anything to compare it to other than what we’ve come to recognize as “full”.  Just thought I’d share the answer I got.

David, thanks for sharing the information.

Greg, I was looking to go there but the water level kind of concerned me too. The lake itsef isn’t all that big so I wonder what size it would be after drawing it down. Currently, it’s listed as 12 acres. The area behind the NO FISHING beyond this point could possibly dry up. I was curious to know if someone would share their thoughts on the fishing back then when the water level was lower.

Mar 27 2023

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By TRI VO

David, thanks for sharing the information.

Greg, I was looking to go there but the water level kind of concerned me too. The lake itsef isn’t all that big so I wonder what size it would be after drawing it down. Currently, it’s listed as 12 acres. The area behind the NO FISHING beyond this point could possibly dry up. I was curious to know if someone would share their thoughts on the fishing back then when the water level was lower.

We have spoken to the owner and the lake is being lowered back to its normal level. The new owner (new in the last 18 months) had let the lake rise to a record level. He enjoyed the view of having the lake at this very high level. Since the lake level can be controled by a pipe, the owner has lowered the lake back to its normal level. Why? The lake level had become so high that it was in jeopardy of having a catsrophic breach of the dam. There was simply not enough freeboard (distance of water level to the height of the dam). So, the lake is back to its normal (safe) level. 

So, it appears to those who have been out here in the past 18 months that the lake is low. but it is really back to its “normal” and safe level.