Grind at Double A

May 03 2023

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

I’ll preface, I grew up bass fishing in Indiana; we didn’t have many quarry lakes and anything over 10 feet was considered deep!  So, a lake like Double A is always intimidating to me.  Even with the charts on the PWF site and the reports, fishing without electronics at a place like this feels like fishing in the dark sometimes.  I fished Salt Lick last week with good success and had read all the recent reports at Double A, so decided to give it another try (last year got blown around for an afternoon with little luck).

I was excited to see all the success on the frog lately as that’s one of my favorite lures.  Arrived at 7:30pm, 60 degrees, light wind (increased to 10mph mid-morning) and zero clouds; truly a Chamber of Commerce day.  Albeit the weather man said it would be partly to mostly cloudy, but who’s keeping score (could’ve used some clouds).

Bass were busting shad as soon as I got inthe boat.  Headed to the NW corner as that seemed to have the most action.  A few times I caught myself not even casting, just watching the non-stop blows ups and shad flying out of the water. Tried a frog, no luck.  Threw a weightless fluke and Senko to maybe entice them in the open areas, no dice.  Threw a Yellow Magic on the outside grass line, nada.

Finally drifted along the SW side, caught two really nice ones with huge blow ups; one at just over 4lbs; this was around 8:30am.  Saw Joe over by the ramp in the water fixing the PVC, tried to motor over there in time to thank him for all the work he does on the property, but couldn’t get there quick enough.

Kept working the frog, but zero after that.  Threw the entire tacklebox for the next 4.5 hours with no bites.  Chatterbait, Jerkbait, Spinnerbait, Ribbon worm, trick worm, shakey head, ned rig, deep diving crank.  Was looking in one of my boxes for wacky rig hooks and came across a random, small A-rig that i don’t remember buying and had never used.  Figured, what the hell, let’s give it a whirl. 

First cast, 2.5 lber. Two casts later, bam.  A few casts later, another.  Figured this was my best bet and worked it until I had to leave at 3:30pm.  Caught 9 total on this.  The fish tore up this little rig, bending it, knocking off one of the decoy fish and almost ripping off another.

Overall a fun day and gave me a bit more confidence on these quarry lakes.  Can’t wait to come back again and hopefully catch that frog bite!

May 03 2023

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Double A can be a blast and sounds like you found the trick. Former Hoosier here, what part of IN are originally from?